CBR1100XX.org Forum

After the trip

Canadian Bird

I've just returned from a 3,500 kms road trip. '02, no winter riding, 95,000kms. Great time, great weather, awsome roads, no rain, not too hot. Here's the ?'s. Is it possible that some "bug juice" won't come off? I washed my ride when I arrived, 1,700 kms, and when I got home. How does one clean the rubber on the mirrors? The bugs are gone, but there's some "residue", clear, but you can see it. Has anyone put that clear "3-M" product on parts of their ride? I suppose the "odd" road "chip" comes with the touring. thanks

I forgot, what about bugs in the radiator? Is there is safe, gentle method to remove the bugs from the radiator? I never knew that Honda made a polish, I have so much "stuff" from Crystal Glo to Mothers, etc. Thanks for the responses. Are there many of you out there in who have 100,000 kms/60,000 miles + on their ride. Just how far will that engine go? Cheers

I've found that a little patience with some warm water and a clean micro fiber cloth will do wonders on dried bug juice; then follow up with some Honda Polish. The fibers in the micro fiber cloth "grab" the stuff better than just a cotton terry towel. Of course, it also helps if you preceeded the trip with some Honda Polish.

That, and I find the BEST way to clean a gunked bike is to leave it outside overnight (if you get heavy dew in the morning). A night of soaking in the wet air does an incredible job of softening up the bug guts, and a cleaning goes a lot faster and easier.

It shouldn't hurt the bike if you leave it out just for the cleaning.

2 suggestions:

One would be to place wet towels on the bodywork, and let soak for at least half an hour in warm temps. This does wonders of softening up the carcasses and residue.

The other is to use what I've just started using. SeaFoam makes a product just to remove bugs, and it's awesome, IMO. Spray it on, wait 30seconds and wash or wipe off. Might have to do it 2-3 times with very stubborn bugs, but I'm confident it will remove just about anything.

Bags? Wet paper towels for 30 minutes..Then to coin car wash.I don`t have a time or patience for detailing and other shit.

84 k miles on the bike,going on 6 k miles trip in two weeks.

The motor is the very last thing to worry on XX.

Don`t use power wash on radiator,it may bend fins.

I use the clear 3M stuff behind the front wheel dunno why cos you cant see it but i like to know that its protected i dont know how it would go on more exposed bodywork as it didnt stick real well on my bike and i preped it cleaned it stuck it on heated it etc etc and its still lifted a bit in places but like i said you cant see it under there so it doesnt worry me. as for the bug goo on rubber a little armour all cleaner and then armour all works a treat on mine towels for the dried bugs on paint etc