CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake Fluid

jblackbird2000

Ok-I'm sure this is a silly question, but here goes.

I just drained and bled my brakes on my front only this evening. I used Castrol GT LMA. The bottle says it exceeds DOT 3 and DOT 4 specifications :icon_pray:

I am planning on getting to the clutch and rears sometime next week. However, the service manual says to only use brake fluid from a newly opened container. WTF? Does just opening the container have some immediate nasty effect on the stuff? How long will this 32 oz bottle last me? I was hoping to get at least the clutch fluid changed as well out of this one, sure would hate to waste over 3/4ths of the bottle.

I know I'm probably being to litteral here, but just thought I'd ask to be on the safe side. :icon_cool:

Jay

J,

A week or two in a tightly sealed bottle will be fine.

Brake fluid, being hydroscopic, will continuously absorb moisture from the air. This will eventually lower its boiling point and reduce its lubricity, making the fluid less and less effective. You can keep it considerably longer by storing it in smaller containers that have little or no air in them (squeeze the air out of a plastic bottle before tightly screwing on the top).

Try buying smaller 12 ounce containers, and dispose of the extra contents if not using it relatively (month or two) quickly. It doesn't go bad overnight, (unless mixed with water); it just begins its aging process. :icon_oldman:

Flush your systems every couple of years (per manual). If you really use your bike heavily, or ride in adverse (moisture laden, extreme brake heat cycles) conditions, annually. :icon_thumbsup:

That makes excellent sense to me!

I think I'm going to take your advice and put the leftovers in smaller plastic bottles.

Thanks for the well-though out response!

Jay

When you get done flushing the rear and clutch there won't be much left to worry about.

Jay,

I can easily understand that. I have lots of farkles for my various bikes, ATV's and cars still sitting in their original cartons, waiting patiently to be installed! :icon_doh:

Just another bunch of winter projects waiting to happen, I guess. :icon_redface:

Too many toys, not enough time! :icon_whistle:

Enjoy your riding season!

Good advise given. Just to pick a nit, while brake fluid is, indeed hydrospcopic the term for something that adsorbs water from the air is hygroscopic. Not a big deal in the overall scheme of things.

BMW recommends an annual fluid flush on their ABS brakes and hydraulic clutch systems using DOT-4 brake fluid and it has always made sense to me.

I picked up my '01, used, from a BMW dealer and they had done a fluid change for me as part of their normal service for used bikes. 8 months later I can already detect a change in the color of the stuff in the master cylinder and will probably change mine out some time in the next month or so. Just one of my all time favorite things to do, kneel on the floor of my garage for a couple of hours.

Shovelstroked, I stand corrected. :icon_redface: Hygroscopic means water-loving. Hydrophyllic means water-hating.

As for bleeding your brakes regularly, I found that the investment in a Mityvac power bleeder/ master cylinder filler kit a very worthwhile addition to my tool collection. Kit #MV6838 or MV6835 are very comprehensive and generally run around $120-$150.

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_bcbe.asp