CBR1100XX.org Forum

riding on tires at the wear bars

BarryG

My rear Pilot Power is juuuuuust about at the wear bars in the middle. I usually replace my tires before it even gets this close. Putting on new tires next week.

Mostly do 200 miles hwy until then.....imagine pushing them hard in the corners not the best idea...even if the sides have a lot more tread left.

Is it that big a deal to ride on them at or near the wear bars?

Thx,

B

The only thing I worry about when the tread is getting thin is rain. If the forecast is clear, then keep runnin' them, IMO.

Just don't do what Tim did :icon_eek:

Rain.....what's that? :icon_lol:

Yeah and Tim.....looks like your rear was just getting broken in (tire that is)..... :icon_eek:

Got a ticket running 100+ on that wasted tire too! (When I asked the CHP to write me for defective tire or defective exhaust he shook his head NO and kept writing).

Lots more left. Put an axtra lb or two in if you're slabbin, and you'll be fine for a while.

:icon_smile::icon_smile::icon_smile:

That tire looks exatly like the Z6 on the back of my bike awhile ago. Looked fine 200 miles before. It is the reason there are Pilot Roads on my bike right now. That and at 5500 miles they look to have another 5K left in them. With all the slab riding I am forced to do here in Florida, using the cord for a wear bar is not my idea of good practice.

Lots more left. Put an axtra lb or two in if you're slabbin, and you'll be fine for a while.

:icon_smile::icon_smile::icon_smile:

That tire looks exatly like the Z6 on the back of my bike awhile ago. Looked fine 200 miles before. It is the reason there are Pilot Roads on my bike right now. That and at 5500 miles they look to have another 5K left in them. With all the slab riding I am forced to do here in Florida, using the cord for a wear bar is not my idea of good practice.

HAH !

I have just over 5K miles on my rear P/R and it's just about toast. I guess you can blame that on my ridiing style. :icon_think:

Doing burnouts on plastic speedbumps doesn't help things I guess!!!

Doing burnouts on plastic speedbumps doesn't help things I guess!!!

Doing burnouts 15 feet from the main entrance to the Reno Hilton at 3:00 am didn't help my tire either. :icon_redface:

Is it that big a deal to ride on them at or near the wear bars?

Thx,

B

No, not really,although steel cords don`t grip very well. :icon_twisted:

As far as a corners,there is a plenty of meat on the shoulders,right?.The only concern are heat cycles,but Pilot Power is overkill tire anyway,at leats for XX and street riding.

Your real worry is greatly increased probability of a flat tire.I`ve read somewhere that 90 % of flat tires on motorcycles happens during the last 10 % of tire live.