CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain rivet D.I.D

gharknes

Anybody out there fitted the rivet type link without the tool and if so how ?

or

Can anyone that has seen the tool/link suggest a method to complete the task without using the official tool

Also if I buy the chain from DID and it has 114 links, how do I get it down to 110 ?

cheers in advance

You could use something solid,like piece of rail ( make sure there is no train coming :icon_biggrin: ) and a hammer,but you really need to know what you are doing.

Simply,I`m too cheap to buy proper riveting tool,few hits with the hammer has worked for me without any problems for many,many years.

There are some benefits of growing up in almost a 3rd world state,like unreal mechanical skills. :icon_twisted:

+1 on the dremel tool.

You DON't want to install it w/o a chain tool. Throwing a chain on the XX can cost you big money (if it doesn't kill you) Either spring $90 for the tool or take it to the shop.

I've been looking at this tool on ebay. It looks exactly like the Motion Pro tool, but is about half the price. I've bought stuff off this seller before and they were great to deal with. Do not use this tool to press a link out without grinding the head off the pin first.

Pit Posse chain tool

Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel is best for removing links. I have done it by fileing the rivet flush with a link, and driving the rivet out with a hammer and punch. If you try that, always support the back of the chain with a large socket. Drive side of socket next to the side plate to support as much of the plate as possible.

I have seen people use a tubing flaring tool to flare the rivet. They placed a piece of steel behind the chain, in place of the tubing holder. It has also been done using a small ball peen hammer. Ball side of the hammer against the rivet. Then hit that hammer with a second to flare the rivet. You must support the back side of the link to prevent damage.

Those ideas said, You spent alot of money on that chain. If it fails, you will spend much, much more.

Buy, borrow, or rent a proper tool. Mine cost me $140.00 when I bought it. I will use it 8-10 times in it's lifetime. And yes, $140.00 is a lot to me. But, it will let me change the chain when I need to, and I will know it is right.

I would have a second master link, in case you ruin the first. ( I did even with the proper tool).

Good luck,

Craig

Just do it the McGyver way.

All you need is a 12V battery, some jumper cables and a nickel. Then you can weld that puppy in place.

Make sure you unhook the battery & ECU before welding. Safety first. :icon_biggrin:

Guest rockmeupto125

I've been looking at this tool on ebay. It looks exactly like the Motion Pro tool, but is about half the price. I've bought stuff off this seller before and they were great to deal with. Do not use this tool to press a link out without grinding the head off the pin first.

Pit Posse chain tool

I'm always wary of ads/sellers that have more space dedicated to payment/shipping than to the item itself.

Looking at the small picture, and guessing what's included because there is no description, I don't see any form of plate press. Do you have this, or have you actually seen it?

Pit Posse chain tool

I'm always wary of ads/sellers that have more space dedicated to payment/shipping than to the item itself.

Looking at the small picture, and guessing what's included because there is no description, I don't see any form of plate press. Do you have this, or have you actually seen it?

No I don't have it Joe. I've been looking at it for quite a while, and it appears to have the same stuff as the Motion Pro that I borrowed. I was planning on ordering it the next time I need a chain. I figure if it's not what I expect I can always leave them negative feedback and call their mothers names :icon_razz: I've ordered other tools from them before and they were of good quality.

Guest rockmeupto125

I'll try to enlarge the picture. Like I said, I just don't see the plate press involved.

Maybe I'll have to get a battery and a nickel. Probably work best with a Canadian nickel, eh?

I'll try to enlarge the picture. Like I said, I just don't see the plate press involved.

Maybe I'll have to get a battery and a nickel. Probably work best with a Canadian nickel, eh?

it seems that EK do a chain and the rivet link has like threads and nut on it that you turn with socket once fitted, this compresses the rivet and forms the rivet end, seems to be a good job, no special tools required ??

You could always buy a continuous OEM chain without a master link, and just drop the swing arm.

:icon_cool:

You could always buy a continuous OEM chain without a master link, and just drop the swing arm.

:icon_cool:

I live in Thailand and it is extremely difficult to get stuff here for big bikes, there is a secondhand market or if in Bangkok you may have a chance.

it seems that EK do a chain and the rivet link has like threads and nut on it that you turn with socket once fitted, this compresses the rivet and forms the rivet end, seems to be a good job, no special tools required ??

I checked with EK about this link. They don't offer it for the heavy duty chains yet. At least it's not available un the US.

Pit Posse chain tool

This is the tool I use....should have bought it 10 years ago :icon_wall: works like a charm. Just make damn sure that when your compressing the rivits on final instalation, that you don't have the push pin sticking to far out of the tool body as the tip will break everytime ... :icon_frown: If you get the tool, you'll see what I mean.