CBR1100XX.org Forum

Does the exhaust CAN really matter?

Furious

So I've been thinking. You know those kick ass low center exhausts on the new GSXRs? What if I wanted to put one on the Bird?

Two Bros and Micron are making slip-ons and my question is, if the inlet/outlets match up and I can make everything fit; is there any reason that cannister would F anything up more than any other?

Is there somekind of MAJOR difference between cannister internals that couldn't be sorted out on a PC?

Granted, I haven't gone too far into investigating, so this may be an impossible dream at this point.

Thoughts? Am I making sense here?

Furious

So I've been thinking. You know those kick ass low center exhausts on the new GSXRs? What if I wanted to put one on the Bird?

Two Bros and Micron are making slip-ons and my question is, if the inlet/outlets match up and I can make everything fit; is there any reason that cannister would F anything up more than any other?

Is there somekind of MAJOR difference between cannister internals that couldn't be sorted out on a PC?

Granted, I haven't gone too far into investigating, so this may be an impossible dream at this point.

Thoughts? Am I making sense here?

Furious

If it will bolt up and the engine displacement is close, it should not give you any major performance headaches.

Be sure to post pics.

The only reason an exhaust from one of the new GSXR's or R6's may not work would be that both have a valve to keep the appropriate back pressure. For instance I have a friend who has a new GSXR 600 and he installed a Yoshimura exhaust on it. The Yoshi exhaust snakes around under the bike a little ways and then comes up about twice as far as stock. The stock pipe barely cleared the rider peg and the Yohi exhaust is so long that it acutally mounts to the rear passenger peg. I am putting up this information as a just so you know. Because I am unsure if this will have any negitive effects on a blackbird. IMO if i had a new R6 or GSXR600 I would leave the stock pipe on and just Power Command the bike. The aftermarket cans do not seem to be as good as the factory exhaust

• 3 weeks later...

Furious

Nothing to do with your query Furious, but I think you missed the obvious choice face for your sig pic - none other than Mr. Furious himself:

http://www.alyon.org/generale/theatre/cine...mystery_men.jpg

Tim

Most aftermarket canisters are a straight through design with internal perforations. As long as the one you are removing has a similar internal diameter to the replacement. you will be fine. The only difference will be that the shorter system will have less friction loss than a longer one.

The change due to exhaust length has nothing to do with friction. It is all about the time it takes a positive pressure wave to travel the length of the pipe and exit the muffler causing a negative pressure wave to return up the pipe. When the timing of this causes the wave to arrive just before the exhaust valve closes the system is at max efficiency.

If you shorten the pipe the neg wave will arrive earlier and the peak torque output will occur at higher rpm.

JohnS

The change due to exhaust length has nothing to do with friction. It is all about the time it takes a positive pressure wave to travel the length of the pipe and exit the muffler causing a negative pressure wave to return up the pipe. When the timing of this causes the wave to arrive just before the exhaust valve closes the system is at max efficiency.

If you shorten the pipe the neg wave will arrive earlier and the peak torque output will occur at higher rpm.

JohnS

You are correct about pressure waves / scavenging and reversion. I did not get into tuning effects of length. You are incorrect about there not being a friction loss over a given length..it may be minimal, but it is there.

I thought this stuff only applied to 2 strokes :icon_drool: