CBR1100XX.org Forum

Torque wrench, were to buy one?

Texhoss

I am trying to get may of the needed tools for the Bird and it is time for a torque wrench. How about Sears, Harbor Freight, or some place else and how much money? Am I able to do the work with one wrench?

I have a pair of craftsmans...one is for higher torque values and one for the lower settings. Even the lower one does not get down to 7 N/M or whatever the units are, but the fasteners that go that low are like the plastic fasteners & such.

I tried to steer clear of craftsman & buy from a small independant car parts place, but his did not have the real nice little hard case that the craftsman had. I don't want to just throw a $75 tool in the wrench drawer unprotected.

Once you have used a "click" meter you won't go back to the old ananlog type.

BTW...I have an old "analog" type that I will let go for $5 plus shipping and handling. I will try to post a pic later.

Caveat....not NEARLY as accurate, reproducible, or cool as the click type.

When you are shopping, have a table of torque values for the bird with you.....

I would stay away from harbor freight on this one. One thing broken and it won't seam like such a great idea any more. Let not mention something happening at 100+. I paid about 80ish for bolth of mine and you can spend a lot more.

Guest rockmeupto125

I recommend a 3/8 drive and a 1/2 inch drive clicker.

Look for a 3/8 with a low range...that you can use for your little fittings up to 40-50 pounds...which is most of them.

Torque wrenches are relatively short, so torquing an axle bolt with a 3/8 drive is a good pull, which is why I recommend a 1/2 inch drive as well.

If you're on a budget, you're better off to get a good 0-100 pound 3/8 drive clicker and a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter so that you can use your 1/2 inch drive sockets as well, and just put up with the extra work involved with those larger nuts and bolts.

Craftsman has a good assortment. Harbor Freight also has your basic needs, but not really the same quality.

Snap-on makes a nice inch/lb Nm with 3/8 inch drive. I would check with one of the mobile automotive tool companys, Snap-on, Mac, etc.

+1 on the snap or break style. Reading a scale when torquing a large value is impossible.

Buy a couple of good wrenches in different scales, and work in the middle of the range.

Keep them in a good toolbox and don't drop them. They will last a lifetime.

I like my 3/8" Craftsman. It has two windows in the handle. One for n/m and one for ft/lb. Twist the knob at the end of the handle to make your setting. I think it was around $50-$60.

I didn't realize how little pressure some bolts need to seat properly!

I have the Craftsman 1/2" drive "clicker" torque wrench that I use for axle nuts, lug nuts etc. I picked up a 3/8 drive from Harbor freight. It's okay for occasional use, the biggest problem I have is it doesn't lock on the setting very well so you have to constanly check the setting. I also have 2 beam style torque wrenches in 3/8 and 1/2 drive. I use them to check the accuracy of the clickers as beam type are a pain in the ass to use, but when used properly are the most accurate. The clickers go out of calibration and without regular testing you have no way to tell if they are accurate. With a beam type you zero the pointer and keep the pivot handle centered and you're spot on, but again they are a total pain in the ass when in tight areas.

One other thing----EACH time you are done using the wrench---always, always, always turn the knob back so that 'stop' is showing in the window. Very important step to maintain accuracy. Happy trails kel

One other thing----EACH time you are done using the wrench---always, always, always turn the knob back so that 'stop' is showing in the window. Very important step to maintain accuracy. Happy trails kel

Never heard that before, but it makes sense. I going to run home now and turn mine back :icon_lol:

Guest rockmeupto125

Never heard that before, but it makes sense. I going to run home now and turn mine back :icon_lol:

Better oil it, too.

Also remember that if you use an extension it will through off the final values somewhat.

A good quality 3 or 6" extension won't make a difference. Cheap ones or longer ones start to flex, and can throw it out of whack. The not using extension refers to not extending the torque wrench itself via a "cheater bar"

Better oil it, too.

Thanks Joe. It's good to know someone reads my drivel :icon_lol: