CBR1100XX.org Forum

Heated hand grips

Aurora

Symtec (Dualstar) good, Kimpex bad.

I'm on my second set of dual stars (one per bike) and love them!! Plus, you can put whatever grips you want to over them, and when the grips wear out, just replace the grips, not the heaters! Plus, they're like $35!

Mike

I installed Hotgrips on mine, would go with dualstar if I had it to do over again.

heated grips has been the best modification to my bike that I have made!! :icon_biggrin:

I used the Riderwarehouse "warm wrap" grips for two seasons and have since moved on to Gerbing's heated glove liners and gloves.

The grips were OK in "cool" weather but didn't cut it when temps dropped into the 30's and below. There were two problems for me: The first was, heat is only transferred to one side of your hand. The second was, the heated grips would only transfer heat when my hand was wrapped around the grip. So, every time I opened my hand to operate the clutch or the front brake or for any other reason the heat transfer was interrupted. Moreover, the minute that open glove was put out in the supercold airstream any residual heat was lost. So, before my hand could once again enjoy the warmth of the heated grip the glove first had to heat back up. So, while it seemed like a cost effective way to keep my hands from freezing, that's about all they did -- it was not a perfect solution for very cold temps.

The Gerbings gloves (along with my Gerbings jacket liner) are simply the awesome for cold weather riding. The gloves wrap your hands with heating elements and work all the time, regardless of where your hands are. A bit more expensive but, IMHO, a much better "value" in that their performance was so far superior to the heated grips. I'm good to the low teens with my Gerbings... it's the motorcycle that complains when it gets that cold. The adjustable thermostat is a must-have as well: you can really "cook" your hands and torso when the Gerbings stuff is full-on...

A final note: the XX's electrical system doesn't have a lot of excess amps and the Gerbings stuff can really put a big draw on the system, particularly when the bike is at idle in traffic or at stop lights. I routinely put my bike on a Battery Tender when I get home to ensure that the battery stays topped-off as a hedge against slowly drawing it down with the heated apparel.

Does anyone have experience with running heated hand grips on a XX?

Which are good and bad?

Dualstar fan also. Buy their simple $4. high/low switch as the heattroller (rheostat) is really over kill.

DualStar has an "optional" shrink wrap like insulating piece for the left side. With that piece, both sides get plenty hot enough. I rarely used the high setting. It maybe necessary to use a RHS grip to fit on the LHS as well to accomadate the extra thickness. See my pictures and install steps if you care to take a look at it.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Dualstar grips. Bought the Heat Troller, too, just because I like the adjustability.

Best $70 (troller and elements together) I've ever spent for cold/cool weather riding. What I REALLY like about them is that you ALWAYS have them with you. Always. If you're traveling any kind of distance, especially north to south, or changing elevations, there's NOTHING like not having to bring 3 different pairs of gloves with you. If you take off and decide your hands are cold.. you flip a switch. If you really must, buy the gloves, but also buy the grips. You will not regret it on a spring morning when you're 30 miles from home and realize you made a bad glove decision, or get caught in the rain and your hands are wet and freezing in September.

I've got an Aerostich Roadcrafter, and it's NOT for keeping you warm in the winter. You MUST layer underneath of it. Usual layering for me is a tshirt, a long sleeve t shirt, and a sweatshirt under the Stich. With that I'm good to about 30 degrees. Any colder, and I need to go with the the heated vest (Widder) routine, and it's worked very well for longer rides in the cold. Only real problem I've experienced is in my toes. I'm thinking heated socks are nexxt.