CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hey you Traxxioin Owner's (Update)

Obby

I would like to dial in the new Traxxion kit a little better. It's Sag should already be set pretty well from the installers. I would just like to know what all the adjustments do. I have fully adjustable rebound, compression damping and spring preload (which is where I don't know :icon_redface: ). Can anyone tell me what each does? ...and I know, get a book, but I thought I'd ask a few of you first.

My goal is to get a smoother, less harsh ride that eats up the bumps, but stays tracking in tight turns. It's pretty good now, but a little harsh.

Thanks,

Obby

Get a book Steve. :icon_biggrin:

If you have the sag set, there's nothing to change there -- and the spring rate isn't changed by adjusting preload anyway. There are no compression damping adjusters on the forks, even with the Traxxion kit -- you got what you got when you specified weight and riding style as part of your order, though that can be reworked if you wanted to go that far. Less compression damping would soften the ride when you hit bumps (as would less stiff springs). You can adjust rebound damping (silver slotted screw in the middle of your black preload adjuster sticking out of the top of your fork caps), but it's really a fine tuning adjuster -- the rebound damping valving you got (again per your order specs) gave you the range of rebound damping you're going to be within. Rebound damping controls how fast the forks are allowed to return to extension (by the force of the compressed spring) after being compressed on a bump. It may not solve the problem you feel (desire for a plusher ride), but note the initial setting and play with them from there to see what feels best.

Get a book Steve. :icon_biggrin:

If you have the sag set, there's nothing to change there -- and the spring rate isn't changed by adjusting preload anyway. There are no compression damping adjusters on the forks, even with the Traxxion kit -- you got what you got when you specified weight and riding style as part of your order, though that can be reworked if you wanted to go that far. Less compression damping would soften the ride when you hit bumps (as would less stiff springs). You can adjust rebound damping (silver slotted screw in the middle of your black preload adjuster sticking out of the top of your fork caps), but it's really a fine tuning adjuster -- the rebound damping valving you got (again per your order specs) gave you the range of rebound damping you're going to be within. Rebound damping controls how fast the forks are allowed to return to extension (by the force of the compressed spring) after being compressed on a bump. It may not solve the problem you feel (desire for a plusher ride), but note the initial setting and play with them from there to see what feels best.

I knew it, BOOK comment LOL.

The installer told me that there was an adjustment that could be made at the underneath bottom part of the fork legs? Would that be the compression dampening? I haven't look there yet.

Anyways, I did play with that touchy rebound damping screw. I'm carrying a shorty standard screwdriver with me now for quick adjustments. I gave it a half turn to get rid of a rolling, sea sickening bounce on the hwy I was getting. Then that was too rigid, so I backed it off to a quarter turn, then a bit less even. Now it feels pretty good, but still a little harsh when hitting bumps.

I haven't touched the preload adjuster yet (the adjusment that have the anodised knobs available [attachmentid=1804]). I just got the preload adjuster knobs, so I can start playing with those next. Maybe back it off a quarter turn and see what it does on my ride home today.

post-147-1152202860_thumb.jpg

The installer told me that there was an adjustment that could be made at the underneath bottom part of the fork legs? Would that be the compression dampening? I haven't look there yet.

Yeah, that'd be where you'd find it, but unlike my FJR, where such an adjuster actually is accessible as an adjuster protruding out of the lower fork leg, no such modification exists on the Bird's lower leg. Maybe it's a part of the cartridge mounting bolt that you access from the bottom after removing the axle??? Or maybe it requires the cartridge to be removed from the lower leg and allows some adjustment before reinstalling???

It's news to me, but maybe I need to read more about all the features on this thing.

Yeah, that'd be where you'd find it, but unlike my FJR, where such an adjuster actually is accessible as an adjuster protruding out of the lower fork leg, no such modification exists on the Bird's lower leg. Maybe it's a part of the cartridge mounting bolt that you access from the bottom after removing the axle??? Or maybe it requires the cartridge to be removed from the lower leg and allows some adjustment before reinstalling???

It's news to me, but maybe I need to read more about all the features on this thing.

Definatly don't have to remove the cartridge. My installer said that I could just back out the screw down there to help take out harshness. I may run back over to the shop with the bike and see what he's talking about.

Definatly don't have to remove the cartridge. My installer said that I could just back out the screw down there to help take out harshness. I may run back over to the shop with the bike and see what he's talking about.

Unless your guy did something special with your fork lowers (or you have the "special" '02 lowers :icon_lol: ) There doesn't appear to be ANY adjustment screws (visible) on my bike...

Unless your guy did something special with your fork lowers (or you have the "special" '02 lowers :icon_lol: ) There doesn't appear to be ANY adjustment screws (visible) on my bike...

I did see holes under there. I'm guessing that those are stock though?

Gotta agree with MileHi, I did the DIY kit for my Traxxion order (same everything as yours) and there is NO adjustment screw visible or accessible on the lower part of fork. Only thing there is the allen head screw that holds the cartridges in place.

Kinley

Gotta agree with MileHi, I did the DIY kit for my Traxxion order (same everything as yours) and there is NO adjustment screw visible or accessible on the lower part of fork. Only thing there is the allen head screw that holds the cartridges in place.

Kinley

I wonder if my installer had me mixed up with another customer? :icon_think: They do tons of bikes there every week.

When I have them do the rear shock I will see if he can make sure it's setup right for me. For now I'll just start playing with the preload adjusters.

Thanks for the help!

-Obby

I'm not sure if you already checked this writeup but here is the link

suspension setup

That's a nice write-up. I was glued to the pages. I tried looking on-line for write-ups like that, but most are subscription only. Thanks for the link! :icon_clap:

Now I have alot of riding and tweaking to do, darn :icon_dance: .

Just a quick update. I brought the bird back for an adjustment at the installers. It turns out they had the sag setting off. Something about the forks being upright, rather than inverted. They are use to adjusting for inverted forks. I knew something was wrong when the forks bottomed out on a hard stop this last weekend.

In any case, they re-adjusted the settings with me/my gear and full pack. It took them 3 tries to get it dialed in at 34 (whatever that means).

One my ride home, I noticed the difference immediately. So sweet now.

If anyone want a nice set of gold pre-adjusters, PM me. I'll send them out to ya for half price (25 bucks to you're door).

-Obby