CBR1100XX.org Forum

Satellite antenna

Mikey

Are those connections mcx or smc? I need to shorten my antenna for use on the bike and I need to know what replacement connectors to get (and how to do it :])

Yah, I suppose. I know you can get a short one from cyclegadgets.com but I wanted to make my own. I hate having all this coiled wire around.

Any suggestions where to get a cheap antenna and perhaps a mounting base for a sportster replay?

I cut mine, shortened it, and resoldered. Pain in the ass? Sure! Beer? Absolutely! Work? Yeppers..

I cut mine, shortened it, and resoldered. Pain in the ass? Sure! Beer? Absolutely! Work? Yeppers..

So it's just an inner core and then white insulation then a wire sheath like a television cable?

Mike, very few coax connectors are soldered anymore. Most of them are crimped, for which you need the tool. Soldered connections are a pain in the ass, especially if you've never done them before. If you don't do it quite right, you may lose more signal in the connection, than in that extra length of cable you have. It's not like a CB though, where the length of the AE cable does some of the impedance matching. My suggestion as well, is to leave it, or try and buy the length you need.

marty

Yah, I suppose. I know you can get a short one from cyclegadgets.com but I wanted to make my own. I hate having all this coiled wire around.

Any suggestions where to get a cheap antenna and perhaps a mounting base for a sportster replay?

From what I have seen with the various recievers I have owned, they all have the same antenea connector which is a bonus. I'd suggest either going to Radio shack ( they sell accessories ) or trying e-bay. I actually used a windshield suction cup mount on my bike but stuck it to the gas tank. It has held on just fine through a few wheelies and one run up to an indicated 157 mph. I ran the power and antenea wire under the gas tank and out from in front of it. I coiled the excess length around the mount itself. I too need another power cord because I keep stealing the one from my truck to use on the bike and I'm getting tired of having to unbolt the tanl and lift it up and then the reverse to put it all back in the truck.

From what I have seen with the various recievers I have owned, they all have the same antenea connector which is a bonus. I'd suggest either going to Radio shack ( they sell accessories ) or trying e-bay. I actually used a windshield suction cup mount on my bike but stuck it to the gas tank. It has held on just fine through a few wheelies and one run up to an indicated 157 mph. I ran the power and antenea wire under the gas tank and out from in front of it. I coiled the excess length around the mount itself. I too need another power cord because I keep stealing the one from my truck to use on the bike and I'm getting tired of having to unbolt the tanl and lift it up and then the reverse to put it all back in the truck.

The only difference on the satellite antennas are the old style two wire and the new style one wire. The housings for the antenna wire on the receiver end of course are all different depending on the manufacturer and there are currently twelve different varieties available. All the pin connectors are crimped not soldered and Amphenol RF has a selection of all of these “FAKRA” SMB style connectors try this Linky. Lew