CBR1100XX.org Forum

Help with rear brakes...

HandyAndy888

Hello,

After I apply the front/rear brakes, there is a noise (on at a certain point on the disc) at low speeds that is related to the pads touching the disc. :icon_confused:

Do I just get the disc machined, or do I pull apart the brakes and see if its not returning by itself? Could this be related to bleeding, the brakes do not feel spongy... :icon_rolleyes:

I'm confused and really annoyed by this noise...please help! :icon_pray:

Unless the disk is getting really hot, the noise you here is probably normal. There is nothing to retract the pads/pistons except the disc. In other words, the pads will only retract to the high point on the disc and no further. The noise you are hearing is the pads touching that high spot.

I wouldn't be concerned unless I felt a pulsing at the brake pedal under moderate to hard usage. Take a ride in a pair of flip flops (we won't calll you a squid) and see what you feel.

It is not a good idea to machine rotors. The calipers are too small to accomodate much travel beyond the wear limits of the pads and you could find yourself without brakes at some point.

Is the noise after you release the brakes or while you are applying the brakes?

If I apply the brakes lightly, it makes the noise (which by the way are bloody loud, everyone can hear them from a least 50metres away!). After I release the brakes, the noise is there again until the speed pics up...

It is very very very annoying. I think I may just go and get it serviced by some reputable dealer... :icon_rolleyes: I don't think I have the guts to pull it all apart.

Could it be something else?