CBR1100XX.org Forum

Autocom issues

GriffbsXX

Today I was riding into work, roughly a 15 minute ride. My autocom (pro m1) began to fade and i heard a lot of static then it went out completly. A few seconds later, it faded abck in and then was fine for a few minutes, then it faded again... I have an XM radio attached to it and the autocom is hard wired to the bike. The original leads died so I replaced them with standard mono stereo lines from Radio Shack.

If anyone has any thoughts on the problem, I'd appreciate some input as to where I should start looking.

TIA,

Byron

Thanks for the reply, I just rode across town and back, before I saw your reply, without changing anything, no problems.

I have the antennea on one of the windscreen screws, right side. Is this a god location? In other words, does it affect signal strength if it's not on a large metal plate? Also, VOX was already dialed out so as not to interfere with music at speed. Nothing else plugged in or I would have thought phone issues first. Also, I've noticed the problem a couple of times when weather was bad, cloudy, dust storms and rain, that sort of thing. Box is mounted under my seat on left side of tool pouch and all wiring is loomed and/or zip tied in place.

Nothing wrong with your Autocomm. It is your XM radio that is giving you the problem.

The antenna really should be on about a 4 x 4" metal plate with a very clear view of the sky. Get it as high as you can as well. Riding through trees growing close to the side of the road will cause the signal to fade in and out. Even getting your body between the antenna and the satelite is enough if the antenna is close to you.

A motorcycle is not the friendliest place for these things.

Nothing wrong with your Autocomm. It is your XM radio that is giving you the problem.

The antenna really should be on about a 4 x 4" metal plate with a very clear view of the sky. Get it as high as you can as well. Riding through trees growing close to the side of the road will cause the signal to fade in and out. Even getting your body between the antenna and the satelite is enough if the antenna is close to you.

A motorcycle is not the friendliest place for these things.

You're right, but I'll tell you... I've had mine between the top of the dash and the windshield for alittle over a year now, and haven't had a problem with it other than going through the trees and under bridges and such...

Mike

I have noticed the XM fade when in trees a couple of times. Would like to make a plate for the radio that mounts on the mirror bracket and two more for the radio and my cell that mount on the clip on tension screws, I'm not a metalsmith though and have not put much thought into how I would acomplish that feat. any input would be welcome.

Anybody already done this and posted 10 gig of pictures I've failed to look at?

I put my Sirius receiver on a piece of industrial velcro on top of my LH mirror housing and ran the wire through the rubber boot. Not a professional job, but then, I am not a professional.