CBR1100XX.org Forum

Any Tricks When Re-Jetting?

sokanxx

I got a set of Two Brothers carbon fiber slip on's. Now I am ready to rejet the bike to get it running straight. I am thinking I will switch out my stock paper filter for a K&N to improve flow. This is still negotiable because I have heard both sides when it comes to K&N's. Do you think they will provide more POWER to the bike then the stock air filter?

The other question I have concerns rejetting the carbs. i am planning on using a Stage 1 jet kit by Dynojet. unless of course there is a better kit, I should use? I will be having two very compitent motorcycle mechanics install the jet kit and I have the luxury of a dyno, for tuning. To top that off when installing the exhaust we pulled the header and welded in O2 bungs so each carb will be set individually. I was wondering if there are any tricks or hints when it comes to rejetting the XX. Or any quirks in the jet kit that i should be aware of. Thanks for any tips you guys have and I will post pictures and dyno sheets as soon as I get all of the work done.

I used the Factory Pro kit.

I have read on here in the past that the stock filter flows as much if not more than a K&N. So the main advantage to a K&N is not having to replace it as often.

After reading around on the forums a little I decided to go with the stock filter again. I will be leaving Saturday for a trip through the Rockie mountains. Unfortunatly I wont have a chance to jet and put my new plugs in. At least I am going with a bunch of Harley riders so even if the XX runs like crap I will still be able to keep up!

You are probibly right. I ordered a new chain and sprockets today. 16T in the front this time. So even if my $700 exhaust and $125 jet kit dont make a difference at least the 16T front will make it feel like I'm faster!! Will I feel a difference with new plugs (20,000 on the stock plugs), exhaust, jet kit, and 16T front? i am hoping for a noticable difference in power, now I know the 16T doesnt add power but will all this shit actually make a noticable difference?

Short answer is yes.

The pipe and jet kit will add a little power but should smooth out the flat spot and make the throttle response better. The sprocket will make a bigger difference. It will accelerate noticeable harder. :icon_cool:

You are probibly right. I ordered a new chain and sprockets today. 16T in the front this time. So even if my $700 exhaust and $125 jet kit dont make a difference at least the 16T front will make it feel like I'm faster!! Will I feel a difference with new plugs (20,000 on the stock plugs), exhaust, jet kit, and 16T front? i am hoping for a noticable difference in power, now I know the 16T doesnt add power but will all this shit actually make a noticable difference?

You will notice an immediate improvment in acceleration and response... get a speedohealer tho to make your speedo resmble reality (rather than 13% overeading due to the stock 7% error compounded by the 16 tooth front sprocket)

I'm eager to test my new slipons this weekend when my bike gets reassembled - the sound is nice so far, but I dunno if theres gonna be a serious flat spot now or not.

Got back from my Colorado tour, it was beautiful and the riding was great!

I will hopefully get to jetting and dynoing the XX in the next couple of weeks. I have a playdate set up for the drag strip in early September, me a zx12r, hayabusas, gsxr1000r K5, zzr1200, a 125hp Harley Davidson Road King. and a Yamaha R1. i need to work on my launches and such before then. I have a couple of questions about set up:

What is the recommended tire pressure for drag racing. I run the Metzler M1/Z6 combo.

Is there a prefered brand or certain type of strap for the front?

Would it be worth the money to get a dog bone lowering link. Slam it at the track but be able to return it to its stock ( +6mm shimm) height when ready to actually ride the street again?

Finally should I order a new set of clutch plates? how tough are the XX stock clutchs? i know for every day use many riders say their clutches last 50,000 miles but at the strip and practicing for the strip is not normal conditions. Approx. how many passes on a clutch before its smoked?

Along with the clutch question how hard is it to repack a clutch? I have never done it myself and was wondering how difficult it actually is?

What is the recommended tire pressure for drag racing

I would start out at about 25 lbs rear and if you are spinning, work down from there.

Is there a prefered brand or certain type of strap for the front? No

Would it be worth the money to get a dog bone lowering link. Slam it at the track but be able to return it to its stock ( +6mm shimm) height when ready to actually ride the street again?

There are problems with doing that but it can be done. You would have to change the kickstand every time. It's hard to load and unload the bike, it is alittle work going up and down every week and it cost some money.

Finally should I order a new set of clutch plates? NO, they are tough. how tough are the XX stock clutchs? i know for every day use many riders say their clutches last 50,000 miles but at the strip and practicing for the strip is not normal conditions. Approx. how many passes on a clutch before its smoked?

quote]

I got a set of Two Brothers carbon fiber slip on's. This is still negotiable because I have heard both sides when it comes to K&N's.

The other question I have concerns rejetting the carbs. i am planning on using a Stage 1 jet kit by Dynojet.

I got K&N, Dynojet, & two bros' on a conference call and told them what I wanted and did not want and we talked it out. Came up with some settings that were perfect right off. The settings were different than what they would have had me do had I just followed the directions.

This is advisable as you can refer to the conversation should it go south on ya.

God luck!

I say go with the K&N.