CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cam Tensioner - Is it a weakness for 1998 Bikes

sr71cbr1100xx

A friend of mine told me he read in the European Magazine Two Wheels Only about a review of the Blackbird and said that one of the weakness of the 1997 & 1998 Blackbirds was the Cam Tensioner which goes around 15,000 miles. I currently have 15,500 miles on my 1998 and I don't hear any funny noise at 3-4K rpm.

Should I be worried and do preventative maintenance? Will the engine blow up if the Cam Tensioner is defective.

Thanks

Scott

A friend of mine told me he read in the European Magazine Two Wheels Only about a review of the Blackbird and said that one of the weakness of the 1997 & 1998 Blackbirds was the Cam Tensioner which goes around 15,000 miles. I currently have 15,500 miles on my 1998 and I don't hear any funny noise at 3-4K rpm.

Should I be worried and do preventative maintenance? Will the engine blow up if the Cam Tensioner is defective.

Thanks

Scott

The tensioner is around 35 bucks. Give john01xx ( John's Bike Bits) a PM he was getting them for us at a good price. It takes less than 10 minutes to change.

As a result of each time someone ask's about the CCT I get a huge request of them to be shipped out immediately.

Last week I shipped out 7 CCT's !!! I am sold out at the moment :-(

Got 10 more coming in that are due today actually. Will post up if I get them this afternoon.

Also got a request from Jaws for 10 more yestarday so ordered another

10 yesterday again for him and all of Europe!

Since I make all of $3.50 profit on each you I sell, I will be getting rich soon at this rate of sales !! :icon_dance:

As a result of each time someone ask's about the CCT I get a huge request of them to be shipped out immediately.

Last week I shipped out 7 CCT's !!! I am sold out at the moment :-(

Got 10 more coming in that are due today actually. Will post up if I get them this afternoon.

Also got a request from Jaws for 10 more yestarday so ordered another

10 yesterday again for him and all of Europe!

Since I make all of $3.50 profit on each you I sell, I will be getting rich soon at this rate of sales !! :icon_dance:

Please post when they arrived. Put me down for one. Thanks.

Mike

Thanks

Scott

It's a weakness but it has very little illeffect on the bike as a result of going bad... it's just damn annoying to hear the rattling when it does go bad. Trust me when I tell you, you will KNOW when it goes bad. Until it does(if it does) just ride that bike and forget about the CCT.

But like Brett said, it's cheap and very easy to replace if/when you get to that point. I'm about the least mechanical person in the world and I managed to swap mine out on my last bike(10000 miles)

I had 37K miles on my 97 before I sold it and had not had to replace it. I had a CCT and gave it to the new owner.

Rich,

You are just hard of hearing is all !! The new owner swapped the noisy one out immediately after receiving it from you !! :icon_wink:

I motion John increase price to net a minimum $5.00 profit on CCT's. Do I hear a 2nd?

I motion John increase price to net a minimum $5.00 profit on CCT's. Do I hear a 2nd?

Nah fuck John he shouldn't make any profit off us :icon_twisted:

:icon_shifty:

:icon_lol:

I'll second the $5 :icon_cool:

You bet...maybe more for his trouble! WTF

I changed the CCT on my 01 last week. 25K miles. Didn't hear the marble in can noise, but it smelled rich at idle and the exhaust was leaving a dark area at the end of the cans.

After the change, I noticed that the engine was now electric smooth above 7k, gas mileage did go back up to 220 miles/tank and the dark exhaust has not come back in 600 miles. :icon_dance:

My origional was a double green dot. I plan to order a new (just in case) when John gets his stock in.

Very easy to change, and the price is right.

I sugest you to take it apart and give a couple of turns winding on the spring to increase the force the spring exerts on the adjuster pin. I've installed on of the earlier X11 adjusters on mine but had to take it out and do what I said above. Since then, it is pretty silent even to the ears of anal retentives. :icon_lol: