CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need Help before NEXXT

Mr.XXBlackbird

Help...Heres the story so far, I was having a vibration problem and posted for suggestions from the board... since then I have had the bike in the shop twice with no results ...I have changed the air cleaner to a K&N ( made it worse) and then a new OEM filter (better but not fixed)...Dealer says he found a split vac hose and replaced it ...but as soon as the bike is hot it starts vibing again ... dealer says he ran compression test ect... and found nothing but slit hose....Now Im thinking it might be Ignition related .. its like I'm riding a lawnmower ..or a speed triple

Its ridable but now I'm thinking about NEXXT and need to get it fixed for the trip...

I also changed the CCT last week ...no change.

the question how do I test the plug wires and coils on my 97 XX...since the problem appears when the bike is hot and feels like I lose a cylinder and am runnig on three

I know I am rambling here ..but I am frustrated and open to all suggestions

3 cylinders is what it sounds like...but it still pulls pretty hard ...I dont have anything to compare it to....and the vibes in the bars is getting worse...fingers are numb after 15-20 minutes...foot gets numb if i rest it against the heel guard...

Joe,

what type of temp probe would you suggest ...I'll try anything at this point

thanks Joe,

cheap bastage that I am I'll try and borrow one b4 I go to radio shack.

I was thinking a bad plug wire maybe... was thinking of replacing all of them ...couldnt hurt...do you know if accel makes coils for the bird??

I've got 10k miles on a 97 xx... but if I cant figure thisout I'm thinking of sell her

anyonein the nyc area care to take a listen i'll ride to you ...i need a second opinion ... the dealer mechanic say how strong she runs and blah,blah blah...but he doesnt know how smooth it was b4

Ralph

I've never replaced the wires on any Honda I've owned. Plug wires go forever as long as you don't do the cardinal sin of pulling them on the wires instead of the boots.

Has this been a slow problem or came up all of the sudden?

How long has this gone on? I remember the first thread but didn't hear anything so thought it was fixed.

Don't give up on her it is really a great bike.

Pete,

I didnt report anything else after the first post because I was waiting on the CCT to arrive ...I had hoped that that would be the fix...it has gotten progressively worse as the summer has gone on...the dealer did the carb sync and compression test ( or says he did ) when I took it to the shop in July

Balancers??? What you talking bout willis?

Birdie XX ,

I am only kidding about selling , thats just frustration talking and if I did I would be getting another one maybe in Titanium

There are two balancers in the engine. I've never had issues with them but there is a procedure in the manual to adjust them.

The only thing is if they are out of adjustment, they are also noisy. Do you have a whine or rattle noise that wasn't there before?

Does it do this at idle? Do you have to raise the idle speed to keep it running?

Have you pulled the plugs out to see if they are all burning the same?

As you can see a problem like this is very hard to figure out over the internet. Too bad most shops have morons for mechanics, they are parts replacers not mechanics, so if something out of the ordinary comes up they don't have a clue. A lot of the shops around here have never even sold a XX let alone worked on one.

i havent pulled the plugs but the dealers mechanic said they looked good...I interviewed/interogated him at the shop... I did drop the bike last year low speed mostly fairing damage on the right side ...think that has anything to do with it ???