CBR1100XX.org Forum

How do you find the heavy spot on the tire?

XXBIRD

I recall there was a spot paint or something like that indicating the heavy spot on the tire so while installing, you could locate it across the valve stem to even it out.

I've found the Pilot Powers at the door step when I got back home (thanks FedEx). Looks like we are going to have tire install party (Hint: The ones with the mounting tool; beware). :icon_dance:

I recall there was a spot paint or something like that indicating the heavy spot on the tire so while installing, you could locate it across the valve stem to even it out.

I've found the Pilot Powers at the door step when I got back home (thanks FedEx). Looks like we are going to have tire install party (Hint: The ones with the mounting tool; beware). :icon_dance:

It's actually the lite spot and there should be a dab of paint marking it. Usually white or yellow. Metzeler uses 2 red dots which can e hard to see :icon_wall:

I thought I told you to drop ship them here so you don't have to haul them down :icon_wink:

The red,yellow,white dots indicate lite spot and should be aligned with valve stem for a better balance using less weight

The valve stem isn't always the heavy spot of the wheel. My heavy spots are about 3 inches away from the valve stem.

No dots/marks/signs that I could see (neither of them), hence the question I had at the first place...

I've called the Michelin USA to ask about it. I have to say, it was one of the most pleasant customer service you can find nowadays... I spoke with someone who appeared to be pretty know-how about mc tires. His reasoining for not having the markings was because they are finding that there is no need to indicate a "light" spot because there is none. As the manufacturing process advances those kinds of irregularities vanish to the point that there isn't any "measurable/significant" variation, he says.

there isn't any "measurable/significant" variation, ha says.

This was true on the Michelin Pilot Road I just mounted. To verify, I first balanced just the rear wheel with the disk and sprocket on it, then with the tire mounted, it used the same weights. The worn out Pilot Road I had just dismounted also used the same weights.

In contrast, an Avon 46 mounted up a week earlier for another bike had a very noticable lump inside where the belts were overlapped, and it took quite a bit of lead to balance it, even after breaking it back down to spin it on his rim.

No dots/marks/signs that I could see (neither of them), hence the question I had at the first place...

I've called the Michelin USA to ask about it. I have to say, it was one of the most pleasant customer service you can find nowadays... I spoke with someone who appeared to be pretty know-how about mc tires. His reasoining for not having the markings was because they are finding that there is no need to indicate a "light" spot because there is none. As the manufacturing process advances those kinds of irregularities vanish to the point that there isn't any "measurable/significant" variation, ha says.

Very interesting.

I have the 1/4 oz. stick on weights here.

I've called the Michelin USA to ask about it. I spoke with someone who appeared to be pretty know-how about mc tires. His reasoining for not having the markings was because they are finding that there is no need to indicate a "light" spot because there is none. As the manufacturing process advances those kinds of irregularities vanish to the point that there isn't any "measurable/significant" variation, he says.

Dunlop racing told me the same thin and that they balance the wheel and not the tire as they are perfect. I cannot confirm or deny that statment.

I agree. More and more...I'm finding you only need to balance the rim. The rubbers are so close, it doesn't make much difference.

Regarding the dots - if they're there, I'll certainly match it to the heavy spot of the rim.

The rim should have come with a paint dot from the factory - inside and outside. I've seen several where it was a few inches away from the valve stem. I balanced the rim w/o a tire to verify. I've also found the mfg. puts a paint dot inside the rim...so if you have cleaned off the outer dot, you may still find it after you take off the rubber. Just paint another dot on the outside and your good to go. If you don't like that idea, get a crayon and mark it while you have the rubber off.

If you take the time to align the dots, you'll get a smoother ride - imho - or...you'll just ride with greater peace of mind.

Plus...I think it's good for an extra 5-10hp! :icon_dance:

RTG