CBR1100XX.org Forum

Yoshi slip-on problem

G2

I've had Staintune pipes on the bike forever but wanted to change the look.

Ordered the carbon fiber Yoshi's but can't get the necessary clearance on the sprocket side to keep the swingarm from making contact. Even the stockers are close but it's been awhile since I can remember hearing about an aftermarket pipe/swingarm issue.

I've tried:

1) spacers behind the bracket @ the subframe- didn't like the added stress it would put on the related parts if someone heavy stood on the peg

2) playing with and even removing the rubber bushing and insert at the footpeg bracket- still not enough

3) trying different configurations with the pipe hanger bracket since it's tabs are offset- right side pipe has 3/16" clearance w/swingarm with the bracket mounted to the inside of the bushing like stock with no substantial preload at the header/pipe joint (correctly mounted IMO)

4) questioning whether or not I was given the proper hangers but even if I move the pipe as far out as the header/pipe interface allows (and not knowing if that much offset will keep it from leaking), a hanger with the mounting tabs meeting in the middle of the top of the pipe (without the offset) and being mounted on the OUTSIDE on the footpeg bracket still might not give me the clearance to keep the inside rivet on the pipe from making a groove on the side of my swingarm

Before I send these things back (it's taking some willpower not to start the bike and see how they sound) does anybody else have these on their bike and if so, did you have any similar problems?

Any and all suggestions welcome. :icon_wink:

Thanks, Greg

Guest rockmeupto125

Its possible your rear peg hanger is bent, or the subframe has twisted that way.

The only realistic conjecture is that it can bend with sudden stress as someone putting doing the bounce on the peg lifting themselves over the bike.

So, eyeball it up, and bend it back.

Its possible your rear peg hanger is bent, or the subframe has twisted that way.

The only realistic conjecture is that it can bend with sudden stress as someone putting doing the bounce on the peg lifting themselves over the bike.

So, eyeball it up, and bend it back.

I'll put a straight edge on it tonight but am betting (hoping) it's not bent. Not many pillion sitters on the back of this machine.

I had a similar problem with my Leo Vince's

The mid pipes are not turned right.. Trust me it took me and a buddy almost 30 minutes to get the left side pipe dialed in perfectly.

cause of the angle the midpipes are at, the slightest turn left or right seriously throws the can itself way off.

He would hold everything perfectly still and I would step back and eyeball the pipes making sure they were level and then snug up all the connections.. :icon_wink:

I had the same problem with my Yosh slipons... 'Cept I didn't notice it until the muffler strap managed to cut a gouge into the swingarm. I had to loosen up the mid pipe and muffler and manhandle them until it lined up correctly. I the drilled a new hole for the pin that stakes the mid pipe to the stock crossover pipe... That's the pin that goes under the clamp...

Thanks for the responses so far.

I had the same problem with my Yosh slipons...

That is what I was looking for MileHi. I appreciate the feedback. Wanted to make sure it wasn't a one off problem with the pipes I have or some misalignment on the bike.

Hmmm...don't seem to recall having that problem with the Scorpions.

:icon_nono: That's because I installed them. :icon_twisted:

Sucks that I have to engineer these pipes to get them to fit, it's not like the XX just came out. :icon_think:

If they didn't look so nice, I would of already sent them back...