CBR1100XX.org Forum

How to unpress the rear caliper

FloridaSilverBird

Ok so my rear wheel is off, I step on the rear break thus closing the break pads... but the calipers wont unpress again at all, let alone enough to get the rear wheel back on and fit in the break disc in the caliper.

So how do I unpress the caliper so I can fit the break disc back in between the pads??

:icon_confused:

Well, first off don't ever do that again.

Take a flat screwdriver and wedge it between the 2 pads and gently get it open. Try to do it evenly and use a bigger screwdriver when needed.

Don't worry too much about chipping up the pad edge.

Well, first off don't ever do that again.

Take a flat screwdriver and wedge it between the 2 pads and gently get it open. Try to do it evenly and use a bigger screwdriver when needed.

Don't worry too much about chipping up the pad edge.

EDIT: Take your foot off the brake FIRST

Chris,

The 3 pistons in the caliper should slide back into the body with a little pressure. The trick to this though it that it's best to do this on the bike because when you have the caliper off and you try to push in one piston at a time, it will press the others out. That's why it's been suggested that you do this with the caliper on the bike while the old brake pads are in place, and apply pressure to all of them at once. Removing the rear master cover will do very little in aiding you, but it will open up the system to possible dirt contanination and moisture. Another little trick you can try is using a set of welders vise grips against the piston side brake pad.

Also, when you apply pressure to push the pistons back in don't go crazy with it. A steady moderate pressure will work, and they will slowly slide back in.

I usually use a small C-clamp, slowly hand tightening it until all the pistons seat into the caliper, with the old pads on so I don't damage the new ones. Then put the new pads on and slap it back together. Should fit without a hitch. But then I usually change my pads without removing the wheel or the calipers, it's very easy to do without removing anything, takes all of 30 minutes or so for me to do both fronts and the rear.