CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front sprockets and rubber hoses?

Zero Knievel

On my 1999 Blackbird, I went to change the sprockets for the new chain coming in.

When I got the front sprocket off, I was surprised to find a length of rubber hose BEHIND the sprocket coiled around the inside (between sprocket/chain and gearbox).

I don't know if this got pulled in somehow (from where I am afraid to ask) or if this is some modification done to protect or reduce noise.

Anyone heard of this being done? I've ridding the bike 1,000 or so miles with no performance issues. I've done a forum search, so I've not found any prior threads discussing this. :icon_confused:

Thanks.

There's a vent hose that terminates in that general area. Someone probably routed it wrong at some point resulting in it getting pulled into where you found it.

Can't recall specifically what it vents off the top of my head, but I'd suggest checking the manual an replacing it, problem solved.

After some asking around here and elsewhere, the hose isn't some weird mod I've not heard of.

My best guess is that it went to the drain spout on the battery carrier (perhaps someone can confirm there's a hose on that nub).

I reattached it, cut it shorter so there was less to flop around, and zip-tied it to the brake lines so it wouldn't flop around with bouncing.

Problem solved. Thanks. :icon_biggrin:

Here's the best depiction I can find of that situation.

Not to but in... but do you know where that top hose (looks like vacuum) going over the top of the tranny in you're pic? Mine just lays around there, connected to nothing. Just didn't look right to me??? :icon_eh:

PM me if you know... I think I'm hi-jacking again, but inquiring minds need to know...

-Obby