CBR1100XX.org Forum

Adding Power Oultet

Mikesblackbird

I have a 2000 mile +/- trip coming up in 2 weeks and I want to be able to power my iQue GPS/MP3, etc. On my last bike I had installed a Wally World outlet and tapped into the spare leads under the headlight. Is there a spot on the BB that I can tap into and add an outlet plug? I also want a liitle better quality than what Walmart has to offer, but don't want to step up to the higher end Powerlet brands. Is there something that is more affordable?

I also plan to have the access point on the left side of the gas tank in the fairing panel. Is that a good spot?

Thanks.

I have a 2000 mile +/- trip coming up in 2 weeks and I want to be able to power my iQue GPS/MP3, etc. On my last bike I had installed a Wally World outlet and tapped into the spare leads under the headlight. Is there a spot on the BB that I can tap into and add an outlet plug? I also want a liitle better quality than what Walmart has to offer, but don't want to step up to the higher end Powerlet brands. Is there something that is more affordable?

I also plan to have the access point on the left side of the gas tank in the fairing panel. Is that a good spot?

Thanks.

Thats a very good location.

I bought a cheap one from Radio Shack and spliced it in under my seat, nothing fancy but works great and comes in very handy. :icon_wink:

I installed one under my seat. That's where all the fuses are so it made sense.

It was a semi-weather resistant one I bought from Wally Mart. It's got a spring loaded flap on it that you pry down on to plug in your accy.

I just velcroed it to the plastic so I can move it around a limited amount. The power cord on my Garmin reaches quite nicely and I can roll up any excess and store it under the seat.

K

I installed one under my seat. That's where all the fuses are so it made sense.

It was a semi-weather resistant one I bought from Wally Mart. It's got a spring loaded flap on it that you pry down on to plug in your accy.

I just velcroed it to the plastic so I can move it around a limited amount. The power cord on my Garmin reaches quite nicely and I can roll up any excess and store it under the seat.

K

Did you just connect it to the battery terminals or did you use some sort of relay?

If I remember correctly I spliced it into the HOT side of the fuse box (between the battery & the fuse) and then seperately fused it for 10A.

I'll see if I can grab a pic this aft. and post it later today.

K

Thanks.

Westmarine is a good source. There you will find marine grade electrical parts which in turn will have either tinned or nickle plated contacts. Here is a under the seat pic..........

post-2743-1148314750_thumb.jpg

post-2743-1148314770_thumb.jpg

post-2743-1148314788_thumb.jpg

I know you said you did'nt want to spend big $ on powerlet products but in my experience a lighter type outlet is susceptible to vibration- contact problems and corrosion.Just for reference check the site of easternbeaver.com. I have one of his dual/switched relay kits and they are slick. Do a search and you can find all kinds of fuse blocks and accessory outlet set-ups.