CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anyone have the Hahn turbo kit?

Xtreme

Does anyone on here have the Hahn turbo kit? Is it a good system? Or should I build a system myself? If anyone has any pictures they would like to share that would be great. The pics on Hahns site are to small.

Thanks, Anthony

= XX4me

Friends don't let friends buy Hahn Turbo Kits

I talked to Forrest about that... I got the impression that the kits are poorly designed and pretty overpriced... and the header welds break in very short order... One other thing I recall hearing about is the turbo was puffing a bunch of oil or something, because the turbo was lower than the "drain" tube, because apparently, gravity works opposite in "hahn land"

He'll fill you in on the specifics, but that's what I remember from talking to him...

Mike

Actually... my discussions with Forrest about his turbo are that they are not overly knowledgeable about tuning, etc. I do think there were some mechanical issues he had to address, but a LOT of what he had issues with were stuff like tuning, intercooler, water injection, etc.

Actually... my discussions with Forrest about his turbo are that they are not overly knowledgeable about tuning, etc. I do think there were some mechanical issues he had to address, but a LOT of what he had issues with were stuff like tuning, intercooler, water injection, etc.

+1

from my understanding, he ended up more or less designing and building a Forrest Turbo Kit for the most part. The way it sounded to me was they didn't do much of anything right. But I am anxious to see his thoughts.

I have actually heard bad things about the Mr. Turbos as well.

Some comments, a little exageration and some hard won knowledge.

There are about 14 people in this entire country who fully understand the fueling needs of a turbo motor, especially a small displacement, high compression, low crankshaft inertia motor mounted in a lightweight vehicle.

There are maybe another hundred or so who know enough to get by.

The learning curve is long and slow with more valleys than peaks and a couple of cliffs at the bottom of which are holed pistons, burnt exhaust valves, bent rods and twisted crankshafts. (not exagerating)

I'm in neither classification but I can offer some advise. In particular to running one around on the street at mild boost levels.

First thing is 8 PSI is not really mild, 5 PSI can be livable and is relatively easy to tune for. A properly sized turbo is all important here. Too small and it won't pump enough air efficiently to handle the inevitable desire to turn up the boost. Too large and throttle response becomes notchy and all sorts of problems arise on overrun. Some things that get overlooked quite often are the return oil system. Crankcase pressures can get pretty high on these motors and a gravity feed just might never return the oil properly. You need to make provisions for additional venting lest you spend more time maintaining turbo seals than you do riding. An air to air intercooler is a really nice thing to have if you can find someplace to mount it. Really makes whacking the throttle open at even 5 lbs of boost on a 45 degree night a fun thing to do. At 5 PSI you can usually just get away with a boost piloted fuel pressure regulator and stock injectors. From around 8 PSI up, unless you are adding closed loop control, the need for bigger injectors is going to make low speed and light throttle tuning difficult. Above that, you might want to consider running an auxillary fuel rail with something like a Haltech F5 fuel controller. Do get yourself some form of monitoring system for mixture. Wide band O2 sensors can work as can EGT gauges. Response of the latter is a bit slow even when placed right at the exhaust ports but if you appoach things from the rich side you can gain some useful tuning information. A data logger is also wonderful as you will be pretty busy when doing full throttle testing and won't want to look too long or hard at gauges. Turbo's do have a way of putting things in fast forward like almost nothing else.

The header,exhaust ,intake tubing and plenum will not be a problem to make. Since I made a Blow-through system for my 97 CBR900RR. I would really like to know what Hahn does for the extra fuel. Pictures would be nice also. Do you think a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator will be enough(with some Power Commander tuning of course)? What is the stock fuel pressure of the Bird?

Thanks,

Anthony

Personally,I think that running almost ANY boost pressure without very efficient intercooling on 11.0 compression motor is very retarded thing to do and it is just a matter of time before motor blows up.Yea you could retard ignition ,but it is just band -aid.

You could make a plenum as a part of air to water to air intercooling system ( like supercharged Jaguars),you won`t be on boost for long time on the bike anyway so you water to air don`t have to be big.

Picking up turbos compression side is not that difficult.You need to learn how to read compression maps.It is simple.There are books that cover those subjects,there is no need to reinvent everything on your own.

Haynes "Forced Induction Performance Tunning" by Graham Bell covers pretty much everything that you will need to know in you project,it is golden.

I would really like to know what Hahn does for the extra fuel. Pictures would be nice also. Do you think a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator will be enough(with some Power Commander tuning of course)? What is the stock fuel pressure of the Bird?

Where is Forrest? I would like to see some pics so I can see what works and does not work with the Hahn kit.

Thanks, Anthony

I bought my 1100xx with a Hahns turbo already installed. I have not had any problems with it. Had the bike dyno'd and it threw down 236RWHP..Not too bad. Bike was bought from a guy named Wally from Chicago. Maybe he's been or still is on the forum.

hahn uses a FPR designed and sold by Bell Engineering Group. Corkie Bell is the owner, super nice and extremely helpful.

The hahn kit uses the stock regulator mounted on the fuel rail and then adds a rising rate FPR to increase pressure under boost. The tricky part of their "system" is that the stock reg controls pressure up to about 43 lbs, then as boost builds the RR FPR takes over. This can leave a flat spot in the 0-3 psi range. If you try and set it so the FPR comes on sooner it's overly rich at higher levels because you increase the slope or rate of gain.

The FPR I have is not the same one sold with the hahn kit. When I was trying to get mine worked out I spent alot of time on the phone with Corkie. One day he said he had this prototype his was building and wondered if I would try it. After working some of the bugs out by sending it back and forth a few times they got it right.

It replaces the stock reg and performs both functions with one unit. It acts as a 1:1 reg below atmospheric pressure and a rising rate reg above.

IPB Image

It's lunch time so I'll try and get back here later.

I bought my 1100xx with a Hahns turbo already installed. I have not had any problems with it. Had the bike dyno'd and it threw down 236RWHP..Not too bad. Bike was bought from a guy named Wally from Chicago. Maybe he's been or still is on the forum.

How many psi boost?

What fuel?

Is it a plain hahn kit?

More info required.

the boost is somewhere between 12-14psi...It is in the shop now getting tuned-up and a new canister put on. They will run it on the dyno a couple times to make sure shes running perfect. I am unsure of what model turbo it is...Im sure it is a couple years old atleast, and was told that the turbo kit came with a micron pipe. (use to have 2 pipes stock, now has the one Micron out the right side) Maybe you could tell me what model it is, I can try to get more info from my mechanic the next time I talk to him. Thanks -Kevin

Well you're not running pump gas unless you have H2O and or an intercooler. In which case it's not a standard hahn kit.

11:1 comp and 12psi on pump equals oil smoke out the tail pipe.

That is interesting that mine on low boost which is 12-14 lbs runs almost the exact same hp numbers.

Mine has 9.5:1 compression pistons

IPB Image

I run it on 93 octane. Hardly ever any smoke.

You must have something done to the internals or maybe a spacer to lower compression.

That just seems to close to the edge.

Any idea what your Air Fuel ratio is?

I talked to Forrest about that... I got the impression that the kits are poorly designed and pretty overpriced... and the header welds break in very short order... One other thing I recall hearing about is the turbo was puffing a bunch of oil or something, because the turbo was lower than the "drain" tube, because apparently, gravity works opposite in "hahn land"

He'll fill you in on the specifics, but that's what I remember from talking to him...

Mike

IPB Image

hahn oil drain line

Smoked like a mother fucker after riding if I started it back up too soon.

I solved that by getting rid of their line and installing a line from the turbo down to a fitting I tapped into the oil pan. Even with that done she still smoked some so I ran a hose between the PCV outlet on top of the motor down to a fitting between the air filter and the compressor intake. No more smokie.

Personally,I think that running almost ANY boost pressure without very efficient intercooling on 11.0 compression motor is very retarded thing to do and it is just a matter of time before motor blows up.Yea you could retard ignition ,but it is just band -aid.

You could make a plenum as a part of air to water to air intercooling system ( like supercharged Jaguars),you won`t be on boost for long time on the bike anyway so you water to air don`t have to be big.

Here's what I did.

IPB Image

Make your own header ect.

hahn header.

IPB Image

I don't even remember how many times I've had that piece welded now.

MiDNiTXX had a hahn system and his did the exact same thing.

They use cheap mild steel for the header and it just doesn't last.

Needs to be stainless.

I'm getting some great info --- Thankyou! I haven't even started to look at the motor yet to see what to do about venting crankcase pressure. I'm thinking about going air to air intercooled. Do you think there is enough room between radiator and the front wheel? Any pics you can send me would be great