CBR1100XX.org Forum

Best way to clean fouled plugs???

Fonzie

Anyone got any advice on this? Think I'm gonna clean the first "new" set I bought back in October & pull the 2nd "new" set I just got last month since she won't start again.

Ruled out sandblasting based on some feedback I got. Just plain 'ol gas, kerosene, brake cleaner, some specialty cleaner...........what do you/would you guys use????

Replace with new... I tried cleaning my old plugs "just in case" with gas, kerosene and magic green and they are now royally fucked.

The only thing you can do as far as I can see is replace - changing the spark gap isn't a great idea either it seems.

Replace with new... I tried cleaning my old plugs "just in case" with gas, kerosene and magic green and they are now royally fucked.

The only thing you can do as far as I can see is replace - changing the spark gap isn't a great idea either it seems.

I'd be more concerned that you have to replace so soon, is you bike FI or Carb, sounds to me like you are running to rich, what's your fuel consumption like...is it very bad, get a CO check done, you may have something wrong, are the plugs black and sooty........give some more info

I'd be more concerned that you have to replace so soon, is you bike FI or Carb, sounds to me like you are running to rich, what's your fuel consumption like...is it very bad, get a CO check done, you may have something wrong, are the plugs black and sooty........give some more info

It's a long story :icon_doh:

+ 1 on the contact cleaner. That should be enough to get the carbon off.

Contact cleaner or Brake cleaner along with compressed air works too. The problem is that in or around the insulator, if there are any strong carbon trail deposits, your better off replacing alltogether instead of cleaning from my personal experience.

I'd say replace them too... yeah it's expensive but creating a potentially more corrosive situation could prove a bad move on a longer ride.....

But what's more imporant than that is figuring out WHY this keeps happening to your plugs.....

I'm really NOT crazy about the idea of spending another $40 on plugs.......total of $120 in the last 6 months.....especially when this last set barely ran for a minute or 2 :icon_wall:

I'm really NOT crazy about the idea of spending another $40 on plugs.......total of $120 in the last 6 months.....especially when this last set barely ran for a minute or 2 :icon_wall:

Is there an O'Reilly's in your area? I buy them locally for my 2000 model for 6 bucks a piece