CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front brake "shudder"...

Warp11XX

Another question for the XXperienced riders...I'm pretty heavy...315 right now...when I get on the front brakes pretty hard from normal highway speeds, after a second or two of braking pretty hard, I get a slight shuddering/growling type feedback into the bars from from what feels like the front wheel. It doesn't feel like what my idea of warped rotors would cause. Does anyone else get this feeling in the bars. Is it my weight transferring to the front and making the front tire "question" its stopping grip on the pavement? Or...??? I've never had a bike with this much stopping power and I'm wondering if my progressive squeeze on the lever is too much... :icon_think:

I don't think it is normal. Mine doesn't do it and the others that I have ridden don't seem to do it either. I'd replace the pads, don't rely on visually inspecting them on the bike, the left side will have uneven wear that you can really only see with the wheel off. If you get the wheel off, then check the balance if you haven't had it done.

I had a bike before, a ninja, that had a tire out of balance that caused vibrations when braking. Once I got a new tire and balance, the problem was solved. Maybe start with the two easy things first, pads and balance, then if it doesn't solve the problem, get a nice set of wave rotors.

I'm not a mechanic, but thats probably what I'd do. IMO

I agree with John, do the simple, cheap fixes first. I am right around 280 with my gear on and I have no shuddering even after a hard ride and lots of braking. Something is not right.

Get some brake cleaner and a scotch bright pad, clean off your rotors.

Pull pads and on a flat surface rub them across some 120 - 140 sand paper to remove any glazing.

Cheap and easy to do.

Next thing is it might be your forks, They might need some freshing up. When you start breaking all the weigh transfer forward and maybe they are not doing a good enough job to absorb the bumps while being compressed some.. Just a thought...