CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front sprocket quality.

Pete in PA

Are all brands the same in quality? As Joe says "it's a pointy piece of steel" or something like that.

I ordered a JT brand front locally because his parts unlimited catalog didn't show an AFAM in 18 tooth.

Is JT OK?

Are there any brands to avoid?

There is one noteworthy aspect about the OEM front sprocket that I have never seen on any aftermarket front sprocket: the presence of the rubber damper. This reduces chain noise to a noticable degree compared to aftermarket versions.

Not saying JTs are bad, in fact they are good... but I always go OEM on the XX for the same reasons warchild mentioned.

I have a JT front and putting a rear on and a new chain next week. I got them from Dennis Kirk which is Parts Unlimited. Warchilds right about the chain noise, it is louder but I wear earplugs anyway. I put two stock fronts on to one stock rear sprocket. The rear stock sprocket still is decent for 30k miles we'll see how long the JT's last. The stock fronts are good for 10k or more it seems. :icon_biggrin:

There is one noteworthy aspect about the OEM front sprocket that I have never seen on any aftermarket front sprocket: the presence of the rubber damper. This reduces chain noise to a noticable degree compared to aftermarket versions.

Can somebody describe the undampened front sprocket noise? And then compare it to a CCT going out noise and the normal clutch rattling noise when being engaged?

I recently rode XX w/o earplugs wearing helmet (testing brake bleed) and was hearing slight clanking noises at low speeds (35 or less). It's the 1st time i've ridden XX w/o earplugs after going to aftermarket front sprocket. I just trying to figure out what noises are what. Virtually all the time i wear helmet/earplugs and all i hear is that damn full yoshi howling away. Thanks in advance...

That's what I wanted to hear.

With some makes talking about case hardening and some not I was worried.

I just pulled my front factory sprocket (not origional) and at 28k miles it has some wear just slightly hooked if you look at it hard enough.

BTW I LOVE the 18 tooth! I'll post in the 18 tooth thread.

Guest rockmeupto125

Can somebody describe the undampened front sprocket noise? And then compare it to a CCT going out noise and the normal clutch rattling noise when being engaged?

I recently rode XX w/o earplugs wearing helmet (testing brake bleed) and was hearing slight clanking noises at low speeds (35 or less). It's the 1st time i've ridden XX w/o earplugs after going to aftermarket front sprocket. I just trying to figure out what noises are what. Virtually all the time i wear helmet/earplugs and all i hear is that damn full yoshi howling away. Thanks in advance...

If your chain is fairly loose, and you are driving steadily at slower speeds, sometimes you can hear the chain flapping around...which might make a clank. The undampened front sprocket noise is just a steady but louder whir with a road speed dependent pitch. CCT is an intermittant tinkle, not a clank. You might even think its pre-ignition.

Its neat (and scary) all the noises you hear when you get a chance to ride slowly with a steady wind in your direction, and the wind noise is substantially decreased. All that machinery and tire noise is there all the time, we just don't normally hear it!

If your chain is fairly loose, and you are driving steadily at slower speeds, sometimes you can hear the chain flapping around...which might make a clank. The undampened front sprocket noise is just a steady but louder whir with a road speed dependent pitch. CCT is an intermittant tinkle, not a clank. You might even think its pre-ignition.

Its neat (and scary) all the noises you hear when you get a chance to ride slowly with a steady wind in your direction, and the wind noise is substantially decreased. All that machinery and tire noise is there all the time, we just don't normally hear it!

Thanks Joe, that was very useful. I err on the loose side for chain adjustment, so that was probably the clank i heard. Now i have that warm fuzzy feeling knowing da bird is not making any naughty noises. :icon_think: Hhhhmmm, now off to www.swmototires.com to order a Power front and Road rear to get da bird in proper fighting form for OzarXX, hehehehehehhehe...