CBR1100XX.org Forum

hyperpro fork oil weight

turbo50jeff

I just received the hyperpro upgrade kit, (fork springs, rear shock spring) they sent me 7.5 weight oil. I've read on this forum that some of you are using 5 weight oil or even 2.5 weight. I called hyperpro and they said that I've got the right weight. Isn't 7.5 the same as OEM? I don't want the super hard damping anymore, I thought that the stiffer spring and lighter oil is supposed to give a better more controlled ride. What is the right weight oil for a 180lb rider? I don't want to go swapping the oil out again if the weight is wrong. Any ideas?

Strange------with my fork springs they sent 2.5 wt. Ready to ride I push 230lbs. Works great. My Bird is a '97.

At your weight I would think the 7.5 is WAY heavy---probably feel like a stock ride, or perhaps worse, when you get done. I'd certainly do more research before I put the heavy stuff in.----------happy trails kel

Mine came with 7.5 also which I put in. Works fine but I'm 280 lbs.

Factory weight is 10.

I'm amazed 2.5 even works, that's like water.

I called hyperpro and they said that 7.5 will be ok. they also said that they never have shipped with any other weight oil. Maybe I should put in 5.

IPB Image

"I called hyperpro and they said that 7.5 will be ok. they also said that they never have shipped with any other weight oil. Maybe I should put in 5."

I don't know who you talked to at Hyperpro----but the statement above shows they are somewhat misinformed. (Graceful way of saying full of shit)--------the above picture is of the bottle of they (Hyperpro) sent with my springs as a kit.

I am no suspension expert----but I do know if your teeth get rattled going over 'tar snakes' your compression damping is too stiff. As for rebound I want the tire on the ground as quickly as possible without any 'bounce'. Please remember--I'm no expert and terms may be somewhat fucked up---but I think you get the idea.

Once again, mine is a '97 with Hyperpro springs, 2.5 wt, I weigh, in gear, 230lbs and it's a BIG improvement over stock!!

Hope whatever you decide works for you----1st time out----------happy trails kel

They also sent me a bottle of 2.5wt oil which I never used. being 230lbs I decided to go up one step and use 5wt and have had no issues and it is much better than stock.

Can the fork oil be changed without taking the forks off the bike again? There is an allen head bolt on the bottom of the forks which holds in the damper rod assembly. Can I remove this allen head and drain the forks of oil?

They also sent me a bottle of 2.5wt oil which I never used. being 230lbs I decided to go up one step and use 5wt and have had no issues and it is much better than stock.

Can the fork oil be changed without taking the forks off the bike again? There is an allen head bolt on the bottom of the forks which holds in the damper rod assembly. Can I remove this allen head and drain the forks of oil?

Yes, and remove the fork cap.

Yes, and remove the fork cap.

And the front wheel :icon_silenced: