CBR1100XX.org Forum

Windshield

Mikesblackbird

My used 97 BB came with the stock shield and a Zero Gravity Touring shield. The touring shield was mounted and I haven't tried the stock shield. Is there a preference in this group about which shield is better for around the town riding and occasional 75 mph+ riding?

I was thinking of going with the stock shield and a detachable laminar tourng lip instead of the zg.

Any comments, alternates and suggestions would be appreciated.

I've used three, the stocker from my '02, a Zero Gravity Touring, and my current AirBlade. The AirBlade is right in the middle for me. The stocker gave me too much windblast and not enough pocket to hide in when desired, the ZG gave me a HUGE, GINORMOUS pocket to hide in, but not enough wind when I wanted it, plus I didn't like the way it changed the bikes lines in the front. The AirBlade with the large double bubble gives me enough air when I want it, and a big enough pocket to duck in on long rides when I tire of wind, and I think it flows with the bikes lines better than the ZG. Do a nice 100 mile run with the ZG, then swap on the stocker and give that a similar run. You'll figure out what you like best and which one to choose from. I still have the Zero Gravity in a box in my garage, practically brand new, but I'll never use it. I also didn't like the material the ZG was made from. It felt flimsy and thin compared to the stocker and the AirBlade. My 2 cents. Spend it wisely. :icon_twisted:

I love my Airblade screens.

Black:

IPB Image

And clear:

IPB Image

Great protection, and it keeps the lines of the Bird pretty well, IMO.

Usually can be had for around $60 on Ebay :icon_wink:

My used 97 BB came with the stock shield and a Zero Gravity Touring shield. The touring shield was mounted and I haven't tried the stock shield. Is there a preference in this group about which shield is better for around the town riding and occasional 75 mph+ riding?

I was thinking of going with the stock shield and a detachable laminar tourng lip instead of the zg.

I know ZG makes a touring screen but I'm only aware of the DB for XX. Several of the guys a ride with have the lip and swear by it but for me it has no place on a Bird. For how you plan to ride go OEM. For long jaunts,cool weather rides the ZG will tend to lift the air flow above your shoulders a bit more.....

I know ZG makes a touring screen but I'm only aware of the DB for XX. Several of the guys a ride with have the lip and swear by it but for me it has no place on a Bird. For how you plan to ride go OEM. For long jaunts,cool weather rides the ZG will tend to lift the air flow above your shoulders a bit more.....

If I posted the pix correctly, here is the zg touring shield. I don't think it is a double bubble version, but I do agree that it is flimsier than stock.

I guess I'll give the stock shield a try to see how it works out. Thanks.

[attachmentid=718][attachmentid=719][attachmentid=720][attachmentid=721]

post-2485-1145980860_thumb.jpg

post-2485-1145980875_thumb.jpg

post-2485-1145980896_thumb.jpg

post-2485-1145980911_thumb.jpg

:icon_wall:

If I posted the pix correctly, here is the zg touring shield. I don't think it is a double bubble version, but I do agree that it is flimsier than stock.

Jesus................ that is f'n huge why would you do that to a bird? :icon_wall:

Jesus................ that is f'n huge why would you do that to a bird? :icon_wall:

Shhhh Don't tell Bob he'll want one :icon_shhh:

:icon_lol:

It actually works reasonbly well. Air flow hits me in the shoulder area and I think in spite of the size, it flows with the bike. My alternative would be the stock shield and the laminar lip for higher speed riding, but I don't care for the look of the lip.

It actually works reasonbly well. Air flow hits me in the shoulder area and I think in spite of the size, it flows with the bike. My alternative would be the stock shield and the laminar lip for higher speed riding, but I don't care for the look of the lip.

How friggin tall are you?

My personal preference is for the stock screen. It might not protect you from the wind as well, but it looks a lot better to me. I've had a Cheetah screen with a turn-up on the upper edge and the wind hit me in the neck area causing my head to buffet. I've had a Sportech chrome screen and liked it till I broke it. Now I've got a stock 97 screen and it fits the looks of the bike the best to me and the wind hits me mid chest with no helmet buffeting.

How friggin tall are you?

My personal preference is for the stock screen. It might not protect you from the wind as well, but it looks a lot better to me. I've had a Cheetah screen with a turn-up on the upper edge and the wind hit me in the neck area causing my head to buffet. I've had a Sportech chrome screen and liked it till I broke it. Now I've got a stock 97 screen and it fits the looks of the bike the best to me and the wind hits me mid chest with no helmet buffeting.

I am 5'11" but have long arms and the bike came with helibars and now has Buell pegs. I sit up on the bike a little more with this arrangement.

I agree that the stock screen would look the best, but I am more about functionality based on my type of riding then the looks (to a point).

Mike

The Touring LIP comes off easily w 4 velcro dots and top 2 bolt/nuts of windscreen. Very stable mounting. Could use Touring LIP during +75 runs and oem screen rest of time. I leave mine on the time.

The Regular LIP comes off even easier, just 4 velcro dots. Not sure how much protection u would lose or mounting stability, but the LIP boys would be able to brief u.

The Touring LIP comes off easily w 4 velcro dots and top 2 bolt/nuts of windscreen. Very stable mounting. Could use Touring LIP during +75 runs and oem screen rest of time. I leave mine on the time.

The Regular LIP comes off even easier, just 4 velcro dots. Not sure how much protection u would lose or mounting stability, but the LIP boys would be able to brief u.

I'll changeover to the stock screen today, but do you think with the Helibars that the stock screen would be the best bet for around town touring?

Thanks.

I had the stock, went to the ZGST found it blocked a lot of wind but with more turbulence and then went with the ZG double bubble, perfect. :icon_dance:

It offers more wind blocking then stock without the turbulance and follows the lines of the bike better than the ST shield.

Actually, looking at your pics unless someone added edgeing it's not from Zero Gravity. Don't know who made that.

I picked up some form of double bubble shield, I don't remember the name, from Matey Peeps. Nice quality and in excellent condition. Honest dude.

Mounted it on my bike and didn't like it all that much. Looks good just that it moved the impact point of the air from my chest to my helmet and the air is not quite as clean as before so I wound up with both more neck and arm fatigue. I'm about 5' 11" with only a 30" inseam so I sit a little tall in the saddle. I also prefer the stock seat and stock bar position and therefore benefit from the extra breeze.

I prefer to deal with the elements with riding gear so extra protection from same isn't an issue. I have gone back to the stock screen and am happy. Honda did a great job on the aerodynamics and the ergonomics of this bike. The aftermarket is hard pressed, IMHO, to improve very much on it. Of course, I do fit their profile pretty well except for the weight thing, which I am working on.

Do any of these shields offer some level of QUIET air around your helmet?

I'm not a big fan of riding with earplugs in, for safeties sake. I may find it mandatory to do so, on this bike, particularly with bar risers /aftermarket seat. Way too much wind noise and buffeting at speed!

What are the LD riders using on theirs? :icon_think:

Are they satisfied with the level of turbulence on a long haul?

Just curious?

I tried a few and IMO the best overall screen for the XX is stock.

I agree. I changed out the ZG touring screen - yes, that's what it is with edging - and the stock screen works well at up to about 75 mph, then gets a little buffety. Beow that speed, the air is very clean. I'll stay with the stock. And yes, reading the development work that went into the BB, the designers spent alot of time on the airflow portion of the design, and I think they got it roght the first go round.

Thanks for the responses. Anybody want to buy the ZG Touring shield I have?......First $35.00 shipped in the US get's it.

I love how the stock looks on the bike but I find for my height ( 6' with 32" inseam) the Givi is great, enough wind to take pressure off of wrists, quieter than stock and I can ride in normal position to about 125 mph.

My $.02

Brian

I'll take it for $35...

Give it a shot...

Pm sent

If I don't like it i'll sell it to Bob for $85 <I'll spray it GOLD first though>:

I have a ZG double Bubble.. It is off one of the forum fellas... It was clear(i think) he sprayed it with tint, and it kinda browned.. I flat blacked the inside and it came out great...

IPB Image

I'll take it for $35...

Give it a shot...

Pm sent

If I don't like it i'll sell it to Bob for $85 <I'll spray it GOLD first though>:

I have a ZG double Bubble.. It is off one of the forum fellas... It was clear(i think) he sprayed it with tint, and it kinda browned.. I flat blacked the inside and it came out great...

IPB Image

PM sent to Plasticxxhead for the shield.