CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire Changer

The Krypt Keeper

I am going to order my tire changer from Harbor Freight. I can make my own balancer at work.

But I was wondering what spoons does everyone use?

Where do you buy the wheel weights? Harbor Freight only has the weight hammer/pliers

Do you buy a tub of the tire lube? Or does someone have a secret homemade recipe like Dawn dishliquid, nutbutter and warm water...?

Also why by rim savers when you can buy two rolls of duct tape... :icon_lol:

Also might stock up on some valve stems and cores as alot of people want me to do their tire changes..

This also gives me a good reason to by a new air compressor :icon_shifty:

I am going to order my tire changer from Harbor Freight. I can make my own balancer at work.

But I was wondering what spoons does everyone use?

Where do you buy the wheel weights? Harbor Freight only has the weight hammer/pliers

Do you buy a tub of the tire lube? Or does someone have a secret homemade recipe like Dawn dishliquid, nutbutter and warm water...?

Also why by rim savers when you can buy two rolls of duct tape... :icon_lol:

Also might stock up on some valve stems and cores as alot of people want me to do their tire changes..

This also gives me a good reason to by a new air compressor :icon_shifty:

I use the long spoons from Motion Pro 15 or 16" I think

NAPA sells the stick on weights, but so far I haven't needed any

I make a thick solution of car wash soap and use a sponge to apply.

for rim savers I cut the sides out of detergent bottles

Good idea of the thick tuff plastic for rim savers..

Didn't know Napa sold weights so thats very helpful.. :icon_wink: Do they have sticky or clip weights?

I see the 24" spoons that HF sell or $10 each... Are they ok they got the little hook/lip for catching the bead..

I imagine the thick soapy tire lube don't have any ill effects as its water soluable... (don't mind my spelling)

Good idea of the thick tuff plastic for rim savers..

Didn't know Napa sold weights so thats very helpful.. :icon_wink: Do they have sticky or clip weights?

I see the 24" spoons that HF sell or $10 each... Are they ok they got the little hook/lip for catching the bead..

I imagine the thick soapy tire lube don't have any ill effects as its water soluable... (don't mind my spelling)

spoons that long are not necessary, even the ones I have are considered by some to be too long. It's mostly in technique. If you need that much leverage you are either extremely weak or doing something very wrong. :icon_nono:

I got the stick on weights. They may have the clipons also. As I said I haven't needed any.

And use the lube sparingly, you don't want any in the tire. All you really need is a light film of lube, once again technique :icon_wink:

Now that I read back over this it's very much like fucking :icon_lol:

As far as the garden hose it can be done, but you'll find that it keeps wanting to roll off into the tire while the long plastic strips seem to stay in place better. Oh and they're free. I like free.

For one stop shopping for the 16" Motion Pro tire irons with the curved end for helping to work around the brake disk on the wheel, the stick-on Motion Pro 1/4 ounce weights, and K&L nylon rim savers (they work, but they ARE work, too):

Motorcycle-Superstore

No best price gurantees, though.

Napa Auto Parts also carries gallon jugs of the real tire mounting lube (and cotton swab applicators), which dries in a sticky state, rather than a slick state like some soaps (which COULD allow the tire to slip on the rim in heavy braking or acceleration).

Thanks for all the help guys.. I will be making a bead breaker and a tire balancer. I can make it at work or go to my father-in-laws and also make it as he has his own welding bussiness with lots of scrap metal and a plasma cutter to make it all look pretty...

No-Mar makes a nice tire balancer too. It also comes with a support frame for about the same price as the Parnes unit. Their tire changer is the tits too.

No-Mar Tire Stuff

You can find the balancer in the Products and Pricing category.

You guys got BIG BALLS!!! I have chrome rims on my 03 bird. I got a nail in my rear tire. It almost sickened me to think of some dumbass fucking my rim up on a tire machine while fixing the flat. I couldnt imagine doing it w/ tire spoons w/ out scratching it up

Steve..

I use the sun!

Thats right...the big, bright, hot, ball of flame in the sky!

Set your tires in it for about an hour before changing them and they will go way easier!

Then all the other tools listed! I like the garden hose idea. I use some cut up milk cartons.

No if I can find a way to kee the rear caliper from scratching the rim as I work it all out I'd be in like Fynn!

Got 8 oz on the way - will advise.

Yes please thats just one of those Dooh! Kind of things that really sounds too good to be true. I'm interested in your results.