CBR1100XX.org Forum

Throttle Position Sensor or Wiring Loom Problem

turbo50jeff

I have a 2000 with 7500 miles on it and the FI light keeps comming on. I have poor throttle response on tip in and off idle. After a while the bike will just idle and won't respond to throttle inputs. I brought it to the local Honda dealer and they told me it's 90% the Throttle Position Sensor. Ok, so replace it right? WRONG!! Honda in their infinite wisdom has riveted the TPS to the throttle body! It's not available seperately! The throttle body is $980!!! So upon doing some research on this I found the links on the wire loom problem. I'm thinking that it might be the cause of this problem. I found a used throttle body assembly for $250. But if that's not what the problem is I don't want to waste any money. Any ideas?

I would recommend going into the Useful Threads and downloading the shop manual, if you haven't already done so. Go through the PGM-FI troubleshooting steps in section 5 and see if a fault code is stored. If you want to do a quick and dirty check, disconnect and reconnect the connector at the TPI on the right hand side of the bike under the airbox (I think it's a 3-pin connector). I would suspect a dirty or poor connection before a failure of the TPI itself.

throttle position sensor is just a variable resistor. Any resistance meter can tell you if it is good.

My memory is fuzzy but I believe that I was able to measure its voltage with the bike on, thus testing both the TPS and the ECU supply to the TPS. If memory serves one side of the pot is 5 volts, other side ground. The center contact will vary between 0 and 5 as the throttle opens.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

throttle position sensor is just a variable resistor. Any resistance meter can tell you if it is good.

My memory is fuzzy but I believe that I was able to measure its voltage with the bike on, thus testing both the TPS and the ECU supply to the TPS. If memory serves one side of the pot is 5 volts, other side ground. The center contact will vary between 0 and 5 as the throttle opens.

Mike

It turned out to be the wiring loom problem. Just like in the pictures, it was all corroded and green. Soldered it and no problems since.

Mike

It turned out to be the wiring loom problem. Just like in the pictures, it was all corroded and green. Soldered it and no problems since.

I'll bet moving the forks down in the triples would have fixed it too! :icon_twisted:

Mike

I'll bet moving the forks down in the triples would have fixed it too! :icon_twisted:

That was going to be my last ditch effort to try. It might have worked! :icon_confused: