CBR1100XX.org Forum

Help! First Dump need parts.

KrazedJD

Howdy gang, after four fabulous years of owning the XX and having a pristine condition bike I had my first minor incident this morning. Guy was coming out of a stop sign did not see me coming he was in fact looking the other direction. I knew it was only a matter of minutes, hit the brakes, and dumped her doing about 25. Unfortunately the tires were still cold because I just got on and within half mile from my house it all occurred. Had the tires been warm I know I would have been able to stop and never have to worry about a thing at this moment.

I had the sliders on her and when it ripped off it took the plastic with it. So now I am wondering where the best place to get replacement plastics would be? I know if I go to Honda they will rip them out of my ass before I have to pay for them too.

I will try to get pics up later thanks a ton for your help!

Try Service Honda and Ron Ayers, both have good pricing. I hope you're okay.

And quit being such a lurker :icon_lol:

Also check out the meetings section for the Norton show in New Hope this Sunday weather permitting a few of us will be there.

I realized after a little birdy told me that I did not mention what parts are damaged:

The left lower fairing is far from repair, Honda replaceent painted and all 229.14

The right lower fairing is cracked but livable condition

The upper fairing is livable but scratched to hell I do not know if it is repairable due o the deep scratches Honda replacement painted 365.59

The Alternator cover is deeply gouged and needs replacement Honda 79.77

Left Mirror got ripped off not to badly scratched but arm needs replacement Honda 24.39

Rear Fairing also scratched but I think repairable or at least sandable and repainted

All the prices were off of Service Honda

Any ideas on the scratched plastics how much body work can be done to them to make them look good

I'll second the suggestion to talk to Gary McCoy at University motors.

I was pricing parts for my bird just a little earlier this month, and he was beating Service Honda prices by a healthy margin, and they were generally below Ron Ayers to start with.

(Now I just need to go ahead and buy the parts I priced out. :icon_lol: )

The only down side of University Motors' site is that there is no fiche system there, so you'll need to either look up the part number on another site, or just tell them what part you're looking for and help figure out if they searched the right one. That being said, Gary was FAST getting back to me when I submitted parts inquirys.

Best of luck with the repairs!

http://www.umotorsfargo.com

Help! First Dump need parts.

Anybody else think this thread was about that colon cleanser post awhile back?

:icon_lol: Too funny, looking back at the way I made the heading I could totally agree with your logic

Thanks to all, I will check everything out! For now I ordered the mirror stalk windscreen and did a fork realignment at my local shop. The bike is still rideable so until I figure out exactly what I am doing those are really all I need for now. BTW total for all that $170

Fairing are not real hard to fix. Take your time, use a plastic welder or soldering iron from the back side to melt the plastic back together. Then resin and fiberglass matting to reinforce so it doesnt re crack from heat or cold. Any bare plastic to be painted needs to be covered with etching primer before paint (This is very important) You can get a can of paint bonder from an auto body store. this is applied just before the paint 10-15 min, but over the dry primer. This is just an added precaution. If you want to know the exact name of the bonding agent let me know and I will get the name for you. My buddy wadded my bike last year. This is how I rebuilt it and it turned out great. I didnt mention body filler and such because I figured you knew atleast that much. Hope it turns out ok Steve..

Fairing are not real hard to fix. Take your time, use a plastic welder or soldering iron from the back side to melt the plastic back together. Then resin and fiberglass matting to reinforce so it doesnt re crack from heat or cold. Any bare plastic to be painted needs to be covered with etching primer before paint (This is very important) You can get a can of paint bonder from an auto body store. this is applied just before the paint 10-15 min, but over the dry primer. This is just an added precaution. If you want to know the exact name of the bonding agent let me know and I will get the name for you. My buddy wadded my bike last year. This is how I rebuilt it and it turned out great. I didnt mention body filler and such because I figured you knew atleast that much. Hope it turns out ok Steve..

2nd that... Most modern body shops are able to handle plastic rash repairs easily as todays cars are made of the same stuff :icon_shhh: For cracks,missing pieces and general screwed parts this comes recommendedClick Me! or you can get it from Aerostitch. Any good body man could make a killing off of rashed parts from ebay :icon_think:

I realized after a little birdy told me that I did not mention what parts are damaged:

The left lower fairing is far from repair, Honda replaceent painted and all 229.14

The right lower fairing is cracked but livable condition

The upper fairing is livable but scratched to hell I do not know if it is repairable due o the deep scratches Honda replacement painted 365.59

The Alternator cover is deeply gouged and needs replacement Honda 79.77

Left Mirror got ripped off not to badly scratched but arm needs replacement Honda 24.39

Rear Fairing also scratched but I think repairable or at least sandable and repainted

All the prices were off of Service Honda

Any ideas on the scratched plastics how much body work can be done to them to make them look good

You can get your front cowl repaired and painted back to stock from $175 to $200 as long as it is complete the tail sections normally run about $140 to repair and paint

some before and after shots of what can be replaced,

if you interested in getting a exact quote just send me a email with a picture of the damage and I will give you a quote to the penny. send me your address and I will give you the cost of shipping

Sales@EmpireGP.com

http://empiregp.com/

thanks for the Plug Pete :icon_biggrin:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I kinda hate to get mine painted, I think keeping it looking ratty adds to it's sleeper status and no one wants to steal a ratty looking bike.

Then again I would like to have the bird looking nice, it's a great bike.

Sweet I will try to get some pics up I managed to get some decent ebay deals but come fall time I may send a piece or two your way for minor crack repair and repaint!