CBR1100XX.org Forum

Redline Water Wetter

Furious

Since I added the PCIII to the Bird she has been running much hotter. I buddy of mine with a new VFR said that he used Water Wetter and his temps greatly improved.

I added the prescribed amount last night and rode to work this morning. I would guess the temperature outside is close to 70 and I have about a 4 mile ride to work, the temp still hit 209. I'm wondering if it needs more time to circulated through the system?

Anyone else use this stuff?

Furious

Water wetter is not all season if I recell ... I use Engine Ice, and reccomend it. If your bird is running noticably hotter you probably do not have the pc3 tuned correctly, becuase thats a sign of running very lean.

Water wetter is not all season if I recell ... I use Engine Ice, and reccomend it. If your bird is running noticably hotter you probably do not have the pc3 tuned correctly, becuase thats a sign of running very lean.

I'm using the stock tuning that came with the PCIII. I haven't bothered to try and retune it because I'm trying to get some aftermarket pipes set up - so I'm trying to avoid tuning it twice.

I haven't heard anything negative about the stock tuning - does someone know about this being an issue?

You are correct it is not. Unfortunately most track day orgs do not allow Engine Ice or Evans type coolants anymore.

You are correct it is not. Unfortunately most track day orgs do not allow Engine Ice or Evans type coolants anymore.

If it's not all season, which seasons does it not perform in?

It offers no protection below freezing.

I guess they didn't figure they'd need to develop a product to keep the engine cool when it's freezing outside. :icon_doh:

I would agree about your PC III running the bike to lean. Give those buttons a push and see what happens.

BTW - I'm looking for one too. Where did you buy it and for how many $$$?

Since I added the PCIII to the Bird she has been running much hotter. I buddy of mine with a new VFR said that he used Water Wetter and his temps greatly improved.

I added the prescribed amount last night and rode to work this morning. I would guess the temperature outside is close to 70 and I have about a 4 mile ride to work, the temp still hit 209. I'm wondering if it needs more time to circulated through the system?

Furious

For Watter Wetter to be most effective in heat exchanging, you need to have the lowest ratio of Glycol coolant mixed with your distilled(!) water. This is based depending on where you live and what your climate norms are, for instance in Houston, we may see 10-12 days in a year where temps go below freezing, and 1-2 days where freezing temps stay below 32F for more than 6 hours. A marginal 8-10% glycol ratio is perfect for this environment. Idealy, you could run 100% distilled with glycol, however I worry about the lowered boilover temps in hotter climates, hence the 8-10% suggestion, which I have found to be a sucessful constant in all my vehicles, including my high-horsepower heat monger of a Lightning.

I had a 2001 R1, which would get up to 245 idling at a light in 95+ degree tempratures. After water wetter +H20+ 10% glycol, it would never exceed 218F even in 100 degree temps, and would cool to thermostat tip-over temps (179F) quickly once moving. Water Wetter works, you just need the correct ratio of coolant to get the most out of it. Glycol coolant is a poor heat exchanger compared to H20 - it's purpose is to raise boiling point and lower freezing point, and to neutralize pH and metal leaching.

I would agree about your PC III running the bike to lean. Give those buttons a push and see what happens.

BTW - I'm looking for one too. Where did you buy it and for how many $$$?

I bought mine from indysuperbikes.com. I can't remember how much, but I'm sure I paid too much. :icon_shhh:

I have about a 4 mile ride to work, the temp still hit 209. I'm wondering if it needs more time to circulated through the system?

Furious

If you added the WaterWetter to the overflow, it will take quite a while to get into the radiator.

I used a turkey baster to remove as much coolant as possible (about 12 oz) at the cap.

Then I added 1/2 a bottle of WaterWetter and filled it back up with distilled water.

As long as I'm moving, I stay below 200 all summer.

In traffic, when the fans come on, rev the engine slightly to help the circulation and help the battery/fans.

Stay cool!

On this subject, as most of the members know, I recently retired my carb'd '97 bird and replaced it with a '01 bird. I've noticed that fan comming on all the time, temp readings at well over 200 degree's when driving in traffic or city, about 180'ish on hwy. Why do these birds run so hot with FI??? Same engine..., strange :icon_duh:

PS. It has been well maintained and has 50/50 with water wetter in it.

On this subject, as most of the members know, I recently retired my carb'd '97 bird and replaced it with a '01 bird. I've noticed that fan comming on all the time, temp readings at well over 200 degree's when driving in traffic or city, about 180'ish on hwy. Why do these birds run so hot with FI??? Same engine..., strange :icon_duh:

Because FI is GAY and GAY is HOT :icon_drool:

Because FI is GAY and GAY is HOT :icon_drool:

Ok, this thread is starting to go strange :icon_wink:

Who's my bitch!

:icon_bondage:

Ok, now back to your normal programming...

:icon_wink:

correct me if i'm wrong here but simply adding WW to your existing coolant won't do diddly, you need to flush the system then add WW with distilled water at the correct mix, I live in hot country 365 days a year so no requirement for antifreeze

I've been using water wetter for a few years now and had good results. However, with all the dirt biking in the desert lately I was turned onto Engine Ice - Amazing Stuff!!! My 450 was always boiling over even with water wetter and an upgraded Boyesen water pump. I put Engine Ice in the 450 and viola!!! No more boiling over. Even with long idle times. The stuff is pricey, about $20 a gallon but I might try it in the XX after the next coolant flush.

Engine Ice