CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain and sproket set came in today -Chain Tool?

sr71cbr1100xx

After finding out that the Honda tool in the service manual was $205 and even then might not be available, I looked around. Too many comments on this board about the Motion Pro tool breaking. The DID kit is about $160. So . . .

I just got an RK Excel Chain Break tool kit from AeroStich/RiderWearhouse Catalogue -- part no. 2589, $97.00 plus $8.00 shipping and handling. Pretty solid tool in a nice, compact plastic box, and looks almost exactly like the tool that's illustrated in the Honda service manual.

www.aerostich.com

(800) 222-1994

I've used the Motion Pro. Most break due to improper use. Don't try and press out the link in your old chain, just cut the fucker with a grinder. Since you already got a 110 link chain you don't have to worry about removing links. Other than that just go slow and keep checking how much you've pressed the pins over per the manual, and you'll be good to go.

There is nothing wrong with the Motion Pro tool. Just don't try to push out a pin without first dremeling the rivet head flush. I'll actually dish the sideplate when I'm done.

Anyone else with a different make, can you push out the pin directly without destroying the tool?

I've got a ZVM2 chain coming from White Buffalo, it's 112 links so I'll have to shorten it.

Most break due to improper use

Not me. I was peening the rivet. On the second rivet just when I got to where it should be, SNAP!!! The link was perfect but that was the first and only time that it was used. They did replace the broken part though.