CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire Question. Feels Slippery

sokanxx

I've got a set of Dunlop 208's size 180 rear on my blackbird. I just bought the XX in Aug and have since put on about 3,000 miles. The tires were pretty new when I bought the bike but I have worn them down a considerable amount. I live in Kansas where the roads are long and straight so I dont get much to any action in the twistys. My tire has a fairly nice curve still but it has developed a slight flat spot in the middle. I have been getting more and more comfortable with the bike and as a result have been pushing it harder and harder. Now when I sweep threw a light left hand turn (like when riding in town) and get on the gas pretty good it feels like the rear tire is sliding out. Is it because I am leaning just far enough to set the tire on the curb of the flatish middle spot? Or am I simply over powering the rear and the wheel spin is enough to push the tire out from under me? Is this a normal feeling? Are my tires pretty much worn out, Id bet they have 3,700 miles on them, and most of those miles are in a straight line? I want to clear up that I do occassionlly ride curvey roads and feel comfortable getting very far over, and at 60mph and up I dont feel this odd sensation but it seems that at a slower speed corner and under accelleration is when the tire really wants to step out. This is probibly a stupid question. but the XX's tire is by far the biggest tire I have ridden on, and I just dont know how these wider tires act and wear. I am unable to look down and back to see whats happening when I am traveling through middle of an intersection. So i was hoping you guys could diagnose my problem.

If your rear tyre has squared off then I would say it's the ridge created by the uneven wear causing your problem. All is OK when upright or fully leaned over but when slightly leaned over you are riding on this ridge which reduces your contact patch with the road and makes the rear of the bike feel unstable. I notice the same thing with a squared off rear tyre.

Solution: Stop riding in straight lines. :icon_razz:

...and get rid of the Dunlops! :icon_confused:

+1

Dunlops are great for the first 2,000 miles or so. After that they go south real fast.

+2

Duncraps on the front ussually cupped by 1500 miles on a heavy bike, and the rears plain suck as they get older. I have tried every tire combo out there and the best IMO, which I currently run, is the Metzeler Z6 rear (get the B version which is for BMW's and heavier bikes) and a M1 Sportec on the front. Its a great combination on the XX, the rear Z6 gives lotsa miles, particularly the B version with its stiffer sidewalls which decrease the tire flattening out so it generates less heat and wear. The M1 on the front gives a sporty feel, great turn in and quick response.

I just ordered that same combo, but I didn't get the "B" rear. Hopefully I didn't upset the balance of the universe too much :icon_smile:

No, it won't matter much at all, except with the B version you may get a few more miles .. it just has stiffer sidewalls being designed for hevier bikes. I had a few A versions on mine, and the handling is the same.

I just ordered that same combo, but I didn't get the "B" rear. Hopefully I didn't upset the balance of the universe too much :icon_smile:

I have also experienced the scalloping fronts and even though I have been pleased with the rears for the first 2k miles they are awful in the cold regardless of the warm up time.

post-2743-1144765918_thumb.jpg

You are so fucked!!!! :icon_biggrin:

Dammit I was afraid of that :icon_wall:

Guess I'll ride in the back at SeXXT

:icon_lol:

I have decided I will either get Bridgestone BT-56's or the Bridgestone BT-010 or the Michilan Pilot Powers? I can get a pretty good deal on these tires from a friend of mine who sells Bridgestones and Michilans. I was wondering what the pros and cons are of the two types. Having a bike like the blackbird is interesting to buy tires for since they are so powerful and heavy but still very capible of sport riding. Thanks for the help guys!

I went from the D208 to Pilot Roads. Much improved handling. I haven't tried the Bridgestones or Avons, but many members like each. I can say check swmototires.com. Great prices, quick service. Check them out in the vendor feedback area. I can bet better deals from them than my buddies.

You guys are not kidding about SWMototires having good prices. i feel foolish for every buying tires anywhere else! unfortuantly they do not carry the Bridgestone BT-056. after reading around here for a while I think I will go with the AVON's it seems like they last a long time. and as i stated before there are no canyons in kansas, so I need a tire that is good in a straight line for a long time!

You guys are not kidding about SWMototires having good prices. i feel foolish for every buying tires anywhere else! unfortuantly they do not carry the Bridgestone BT-056. after reading around here for a while I think I will go with the AVON's it seems like they last a long time. and as i stated before there are no canyons in kansas, so I need a tire that is good in a straight line for a long time!

KANSAS!!! ohhh damn...

IPB Image

Doesn't look like you have alot of tight twisties to worry about...

Cali rides...

http://www.pashnitstore.com/temp/pashnitREDUXmed.wmv

I had Bridgestone BT-56/57 combo ( i think :icon_rolleyes: ). They lasted, no sh't 10k+.easy... mostly hwy (think I got 15k out of them bald :icon_redface: ). I would say, give them a try (IMO). I had them on my '97 when I bought it. They were fine for high speed sweepers, but not so great in 30mph turns (rear drifted a bit).

Good choice... I put 7500Km on a set in one trip all on the trans canada. The front still seemed almost new... The back was starting to wear, unfortunatly right as the end of the trip I picked up a nail and just ended up burning the tire off.

I replaced the rear, put another 6-7000Km on the new rear and it's still got lots left and I bet the front will last until this rear is gone figure I'll be due for a change in another 2-4000Km but I change them before they hit the wear marks. Otherwise I'm almost sure to get another flat..... The roads here are chipseal, incase you don't know what it is we'll just say tar and gravel. It's really hard on tires....