CBR1100XX.org Forum

I know its been beaten to death, but another R/R question

Justin

Like I said, I know its a topic thats been talked about alot ... but here's my question .. my XX has 48k on it, and so far the R/R is doing its job, voltage is stable, keeps it where it belongs with the heated gear and other farkles. But I know Honda makes some shitty R/Rs and I won't be surprised if one day it just says "fuck you" and leaves me stranded and possibly needed to replace some harnesses or at best a battery. So I am thinking I am just going to grab a better R/R and nip it in the bud before it becomes an issue. So, whats the general concensus? Do I grab an R1 R/R with fins? that seems an easy one to splice in... or is there something better and/or more reliable?

Just go with OEM...

I woulnt complain about 48000 miles. Yours went 4 times longer than most...

Just around $100 balloons at Ronayers. I wouldnt degrade my XX with anything Yamaha.

R1 regulator is much better than oem for early birds. I wouldnt change yours but if you do you can get one for little less than 50 bucks from university motor...do a search, the change over can be done quite easily once you are familiar with the procedure...no wire cutting is required

Just go with OEM...

Just around $100 balloons at Ronayers. I wouldnt degrade my XX with anything Yamaha.

R1 regulator is much better than oem for early birds. I wouldnt change yours but if you do you can get one for little less than 50 bucks from university motor...do a search, the change over can be done quite easily once you are familiar with the procedure...no wire cutting is required

Well from my experience, wouldn't it be best to perform a little preventative surgery on this? I have known R/R's to take other things with em when they go .. I have alot of riding planned this year, 3 1000 mile rallies, 3,000 miles just to get to them and back, plus a number of 1000-2000 mile trips... so do you think I should risk it?

Just go with OEM...

Well from my experience, wouldn't it be best to perform a little preventative surgery on this? I have known R/R's to take other things with em when they go .. I have alot of riding planned this year, 3 1000 mile rallies, 3,000 miles just to get to them and back, plus a number of 1000-2000 mile trips... so do you think I should risk it?

Well i suppose you could but again there is no telling when or if your reg is gonna go...the problem with the design is the lack of sufficient cooling. You can always carry one with you...i never had one take out anything but i had the stator take an rr out...i think they usually fail low from what i have read.my first one went for a year and a half (about 20k) when the stator took it out

I just installed a R1 regulator myself recently. It's a preventive maintenace after

I read posts here, even though after 26k miles on my 97 XX the stock R/R

was still working fine and no burn mark whatsoever.

However, I'm not sure which one is cooling better. The stock R/R doesn't have cooling

fins but it has a metal backing that's in contact with the frame to dissipate the heat.

The R1 r/r doesn't have a metal backing. The back of R1 r/r is some kind of epoxy

so it doesn't use the frame to dissipate heat. It does have fins.

If I have to bet, I would bet the stock R/R with a metal back dissipates heat better

as it has the whole frame as cooling fin.

-mike-

I just installed a R1 regulator myself recently. It's a preventive maintenace after

I read posts here, even though after 26k miles on my 97 XX the stock R/R

was still working fine and no burn mark whatsoever.

However, I'm not sure which one is cooling better. The stock R/R doesn't have cooling

fins but it has a metal backing that's in contact with the frame to dissipate the heat.

The R1 r/r doesn't have a metal backing. The back of R1 r/r is some kind of epoxy

so it doesn't use the frame to dissipate heat. It does have fins.

If I have to bet, I would bet the stock R/R with a metal back dissipates heat better

as it has the whole frame as cooling fin.

-mike-

no the power transistors inside are mounted to the case before the epoxy is added so your theory isnt correct.the fins help disapate the head as th air flows over them. when it comes to heat disapation bigger heatsink will cool better