CBR1100XX.org Forum

R1 regulator voltage?

testrider

Hi all,

Based on recommendation here, I bought a new R1 regulator and today I just installed it.

I noticed that the stock 97 XX regulator put out 14.5 V at idle and aroudn 15V at 5000 rpm

while the R1 regulator put out 14V at idle and at 4000 rpm.

Is this normal for a new R1 regulator? If yes, why is it so low? Is it enough to

charge the battery and run all the lights and loads?

For those of you who has the R1 r/r, could you take a quick measure to see what's yours

at idle and 3k-4k rpm?

Thanks!

-mike-

Any voltage reading that is HIGHER than the battery voltage reading.....will charge the battery.

Then it must take longer to charge the battery than the stock R/R?

Anyway, the hardest part of installing it was to remove my Givi rack

before I can remove the plastic. It was really a pain :-)

When the Reg/Rec fails, most of the time, your system overcharges.

Limiting voltage is the primary job of the Reg/Rec. That's why they get so hot.

Symptoms include blown light bulbs, (dash bulbs go first) and a cooked battery.

Just for reference, I checked my battery voltage today using the diagnostic mode on my GPS.

At idle, with GPS, V1, XM radio and Gerbings heated liner working at about 30% through Heat Troller I had 12.90 volts. Ran the engine up to 2000 RPM and 13.4 volts, at 4K, voltage was 14.5 volts. I'm changing out the regulator (mines an 01). I don't want my system voltage that high. As I understand it, the R1 will produce a steady output between 13.9 and 14.1 volts, much better and easier on the voltage regulators in the rest of the electronics.

Just for reference, I checked my battery voltage today using the diagnostic mode on my GPS.

At idle, with GPS, V1, XM radio and Gerbings heated liner working at about 30% through Heat Troller I had 12.90 volts. Ran the engine up to 2000 RPM and 13.4 volts, at 4K, voltage was 14.5 volts. I'm changing out the regulator (mines an 01). I don't want my system voltage that high. As I understand it, the R1 will produce a steady output between 13.9 and 14.1 volts, much better and easier on the voltage regulators in the rest of the electronics.

Thanks. These measurements were made with your OEM Honda regulator, right?

The R1 r/r I just installed gave me around 14V at idle and 4000 rpms, with just

the headlight and tail light. When I hit the brake, it gave me 13.7V so it seems

that the R1 r/r can go below 14V but not more than 14V.

Yes, that was with the OEM regulator.

I regularly ride long distances at 5K+ RPM for tank after tank. That high a voltage, even with the accessories running, will eventually 'cook' the battery. I just did 1260 miles in the last 2 days. Plan is to check the battery for electrolyte level tomorrow. My old ZX-11 cooked its battery dry in 900 miles due to the same problem. I'll keep you posted.

• 2 years later...

I'm in the process of fixing up a '91 VFR750 (to keep the '02 Bird company!)

The single biggest weakness on those VFRs is the RR (Which looks very similar to the Bird's)

I got an '06 CBR600 RR off ebay for $14.95, it nice big fins and fits great in the same space on the VFR.

Had to change the plugs, but it works great.

Just FYI :icon_biggrin:

post-20371-1236451229.jpg