CBR1100XX.org Forum

#1 stupid question of the year..

HamrTym

I usually use that Pro-Honda spray cleaner and polish. Stuff works great. But now the bike is just plain dirty all over. You know, wheels, forks and such. So, when you wash the 'Bird, do you just say screw it and go to town with the hose and soap. Or do you take any precautions such as avoid this or that, mask off/cover up particular parts. I'm avoiding the high pressure routine and using the 'ole household hose. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks...

Rob

I use a hose and car washing soap...no dish soap. And go to town. I do recommend you never use a high presser hose (like at the car wash) on the tail section of your bike. I believe the fuel injected bikes don’t like that kind of treatment more than the carbed bikes............. and don't wash your chain :icon_naughty:

I use good soap, or whatevers handy, and hose, never use power washer, can really destroy a rad, don't know how I know that but I think I read it somewhere. I generally only use the honda stuff when I want it to shine and it isn't very dirty at all.

Brian

I find that about once a month I have to do the water/cleaning thing. I use S-100 cleaner. This stuff works great! I even use it 2 times a year with a grunge brush to clean the chain. Tho only short comings is that you need to rinse this stuff off really well. It works great on all surfaces and will not harm pained or polished surfaces at all. Honda also sells the same stuff labeled "Hondabrite".

When the bike is really filthy, I use S100, a sponge, and low pressure cold water.

I never spray in such a way that I'd get water under the tail section or under the

tank. In between washings, I use some spray cleaner I got from John01XX's company

(Bike Bits). I don't know what that stuff is, but it works like magic; the plastic body

panels looks like black chrome when I'm done. :icon_biggrin:

I use a pressure cleaner, I'm just carefull where I use it. I remove the seat and go for it.

Points to stay away from are:

Rad

Any shaft seal points, Gear lever etc.

Wheel bearings. (Same as seals actually).

Chain (Same as seals actually)

Brakes (Same as seals actually)

The electrics are not as sensitive as you might think. Humidity will get them just as wet in the right conditions.

I then use compressed air to blow out all switch gear, electics inc under the seat, brakes calipers (carefull not to inject air past the pistons, just water removal really)

The switch gear is sprayed with water dispersal stuff depending on where it is. Silicone or just WD40.

The rest is just standard chamois and polish stuff.

Before the purists start, I don't spray up the ends of connectors, into ecu's, etc. If you are very carefull it works like a dream to keep the fiddly places clean. Anyone can keep the panels clean.

Yep, mine is Silver too. It works great at hiding dirt and crap. My 'Bird is long overdue for wash. Had it over a year now and never 'washed' it. Hell, I've still got the dirt from out of state in my back wheel from when I went down last October. I think its time...

I find that about once a month I have to do the water/cleaning thing. I use S-100 cleaner. This stuff works great! I even use it 2 times a year with a grunge brush to clean the chain. Tho only short comings is that you need to rinse this stuff off really well. It works great on all surfaces and will not harm pained or polished surfaces at all. Honda also sells the same stuff labeled "Hondabrite".

Beondwacko, this statement is completely accurate IMO. S100 and Honda Brite are not the same. Honda has the S100 formula mixed in the Honda Brite formula, but with additional cleaners. HondaBrite will fuckup any polished and carbon fiber surfaces in seconds (don't ask me how i know :icon_redface: ). S100 IMO is a great product all by itself, great on all surfaces (wet them first though).

My 2 cents.

2 times a year with a grunge brush to clean the chain

You mean cleaning the plates............. not driving the dirt into the O-rings ............... right??

Yes. Only the sides of the chain, and the rear sprocket. The brush sides only get sprayed, then the chain get's wiped down with WD-40 and a rag, then an hour or 2 of still dry time and then waxed.

Beondwacko, this statement is completely accurate IMO. S100 and Honda Brite are not the same. Honda has the S100 formula mixed in the Honda Brite formula, but with additional cleaners. HondaBrite will fuckup any polished and carbon fiber surfaces in seconds (don't ask me how i know :icon_redface: ). S100 IMO is a great product all by itself, great on all surfaces (wet them first though).

My 2 cents.

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

I use the S-100 for all kinds of things. I actually used is as carpet cleaner the other day with the new car. My mother who was just visiting left a can of V8 tomato juice in the back of the Fiance's new Lexus. You can guess what happened next. It works well for that, but you need to dilute it down a little bit because the S-100 is so soapy.

I also use the S-100 as a insect removal wash for the front of the car and truck, and as a wheel cleaner with a scrub brush on the Lexus. That damm car makes so much friggin' brake dust and it's so sooty that it's the only cleaner I have found that does the job. Other wheel cleaners require a lot more scrubbing on the rims to get the same end result, and they tend to leave more deposits if not rinsed really really well.

I paid $35.00 for a 5 quart jug earlier this year.

The HondaBrite sounds like it's not a Neutral PH if it does the damage on the polished surfaces and Carbon fiber as you mentioned it does.

My 2 cents.

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

I use the S-100 for all kinds of things. I actually used is as carpet cleaner the other day with the new car. My mother who was just visiting left a can of V8 tomato juice in the back of the Fiance's new Lexus. You can guess what happened next. It works well for that, but you need to dilute it down a little bit because the S-100 is so soapy.

I also use the S-100 as a insect removal wash for the front of the car and truck, and as a wheel cleaner with a scrub brush on the Lexus. That damm car makes so much friggin' brake dust and it's so sooty that it's the only cleaner I have found that does the job. Other wheel cleaners require a lot more scrubbing on the rims to get the same end result, and they tend to leave more deposits if not rinsed really really well.

I paid $35.00 for a 5 quart jug earlier this year.

The HondaBrite sounds like it's not a Neutral PH if it does the damage on the polished surfaces and Carbon fiber as you mentioned it does.

I only used it once, that was enough. It ruined my front a rear polished wheels and turned my carbon fiber front fender green with white lines.

On a good note, the Honda Spray polisher/cleaner works great. It even repaired most of the damage of the HondaBrite crap.

...and getting back on topic, when my bird is really filthy from the wet roads, I have no problem with using a car wash wand. Just stay clear of the sensitive spots as mentioned. Then I usually take it on the hwy to get off the extra water. Once home, spray the honda polish on it and let it set a minute, then remove. Done.