CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ping Fltmedic re: HID

RXX

Hey, Duane.... when you put your bulb in, did you use that little foam donut to stabilize it or did you use something else? My bulb seems less stable in the socket than the other bulb. I mean it is OK, just not as rock solid as the other one. Also, the big rubber boot does not fit as well. Am I missing anything here? BTW, I routed the power through a rocker switch so I can power it down. Didn't want to wait ona "euro" switch.

Guest rockmeupto125

Sticking my nose in.

First used an automotive kit in 2003 to try this out. I used the spongy gizmo, but was concerned about instability of the bulb. It never was an issue. The beam didn't even jiggle after hard bumps.

What I did was simply take up the excess space with a gasket from a garden hose:

IPB Image

Then, after your test fitment determines one gasket isn't enough , you add a second gasket:

IPB Image

Now when you install the bulb and hook up the retaining latch, these bulbs remain rock-solid in their housings. See how the circular gromment the wires pass through make for an absolutely perfect seal with the OEM rubber boot:

IPB Image

Here both HID bulbs have just been installed. You also see the ballast for my low-beam, which resides just above the horizontal knob for headlight adjustment:

IPB Image

To place the high-beam ballast, I used the open space behind the instrument panel at the base of the fairing mount (where it forms a natural 'Y'), and zip-tied both the ballast and the ignitor directly to the fairing mount. This was an excellent placement; the zip-ties (see 4 yellow arrows) made for another rock-solid mounting job:

IPB Image

Hey, no problem sticking your nose in....great answers, all of 'em. I think I will get those hose gaskets & put them on before I get the nose bolted on

Yeah. What they said. Actually, I'm book marking this. I just got the nose off, and am putting this together this weekend to send out for paint on Monday, so this was an absolute perfect time for this. Thanks, guys.

Duane