CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stator questions

Flitemdic

What's it feel like/look like/sound like when the stator is fixing to go? I thought the lower output I was getting was because of the new farkles on the bike- 13.75 at +/- 3000 rpm. Now, the bike occassionally won't start- battery won't turn it over enough- if it's hot. Replaced the battery, same thing. And how does the R/R fit into this equation?

Also, I checked into a higher output stator. It's available aftermarket, anyone have any experience with this? Thanks as always for your input.

Duane

Dude! Why the stator? Why not the regulator?

This is how it works.

The flywheel is spinning next to the stator. That creates current. Don't know the value on the XX but I know on the Ducs is about 60V AC max depending on the rpms. Usually 2 or 3 wires come out of the engine case carrying that current. Go into the regulator rectifier. Once it gets there, the r/r rectifies to DC and regulates to about 14V.

The only way to check is by eliminating.

With the rpms at say.... 4-5k check the v on the battery poles.. Should be around 14. THen pull the wires coming out of the engine into the regulator (from the regulator, not the engine!). Check the output. Should be ~60v. Please keep in mind I don't have a manual. I'm guessing what V values should be reasonable for an engine. Don't have a manual for the XX. Perhaps someone with a service manual can give you exact values...

http://www.electrosport.com/electrosport_e...hor-HONDA-35882

Guest rockmeupto125

Won't start, but 13.75 volts charging.

Replace battery, same problem.

Check new battery, sometimes they are bad. Make sure there's a full charge in it before you hook it up to the bike.

Check starter and ground cables.

Check your regulator wires/connections.

Pull farkle fuses and see if the problem resolves.

And who in the world makes a high output stator?

You know, I'm glad you asked that. Now I don't feel like such a moron. I went to the local dealer in search of an answer to this problem, and he picked up one of his aftermarket books, and came up with one. I don't know anything more than that, because he didn't think that that was going to be the problem, and suggested I look into this a little bit more- some of the suggestions you made, Joe, and then coming back as it was a special order part. The way I understood the electrics on this bike, and from what I've read on here, such a thing didn't exist. But, not knowing any more than that, I just kept my mouth shut, and said thanks, and brought the question here.

Anyway, Elefant's explanation cleared up the how, now I just have to work on the way, and hopefully not lose any of the farkles in the meantime. Thanks for the responses.

Duane

Check starter and ground cables.

Check your regulator wires/connections.

Good point. Make sure you check the basics first. Kind of like ... bike dead...call tow truck...take to dealer...get a phone call... you run out of gas you... dumb fuck! We don´t want that... :icon_doh:

Guest rockmeupto125

Electrex is a popular supplier of hi-output electrics for many motorcycles. The XX is NOT one of them, and Electrex has a spotty history with us as not really being up to speed on this motorcycle.

Well, the bike was coming apart this weekend for some work anyways- but now it's moot. Riding home from work early this AM, the bike just stopped running. A first for me. Pulled the clutch in, gliding to the side of the road, let the clutch out just to see WTF might have happened- ROAR. This was preceeded by the right side of the dash- Tach and speedo- going to 0 simultaneously. (Also preceeded by me praying to get home-15 miles at that point.) Anyway, rode the rest of the way home without incident, but when I shut it off to open the garage door, it was dead again. I'm thinking Elefant had it spot on- R/R out the door at 33340 miles. Thanks for the responses, though, at least I have a handle on bike electrics 101 now. (And now also some time to get the paint, HID and the rest of the farklage done long before the distance riding season starts.) Anyone know a good supplier for R/R's? I'm thinking that fellow at Service Honda, (Gary?). Also, while you're reading, if there's no problem with the CCT, anyone with any thoughts on preventitive replacement while everything's apart- I've read here they go about this same time if they're going to go.

Duane

Origional CCT? Double Green dot?

My origional is still in, but I only have 22K on it. I have a spare in the box ready. Every thing I read says they are done before 25K.

I am wondering about that boosted stator. The thought of adding farkles makes me want one. Please ask the next time you visit your Stealer. Talked to a yusau (sp) rep last week. For the 01 plus birds he said there was a YTZ14S battery to replace the YTZ12S. More cranking amps. 230 vs 210. He also indicated that all their batteys came sealed from Japan. It is possible to get a new battery, that has been on the shelf for a while. :icon_doh:

Electrex is a popular supplier of hi-output electrics for many motorcycles. The XX is NOT one of them, and Electrex has a spotty history with us as not really being up to speed on this motorcycle.

No shit! I bought one for the 85 Elefant and went up in smoke with 0 miles. Bought one on e-bay from a Honda CM400T for $15 and it works like a charm. It's just that if you search their site they do have some interesting general info and testing.

Original CCT. I'm over the 25000 mark, but thought seeing as how I'm going to have it apart and be wrenching on it for a week or two, now might be a good time. I'll find out more about the Stator on Tuesday, our stealers are closed Mondays in San Antonio, and I'll post up then.

As a matter of fact I had similar sympthoms on my 99 xx year or two ago,bike would die on me with no reason whatsoever.Would restart almost rightaway.

That deal with gauges,similar,they would read 0 till I hit the bump.

I`m positive it is not regulator,stator problem,most likely main harness related.There was small number of XX efected by that.

I never really investigated that,it just went away on its own.

I`ll right I`ll be honest ,I told the bike I would sell her,apparently it worked.

Guest rockmeupto125

Duane...the gauges dropping out is a sign of real low system voltage.

The CCT can get louder over time, and you might not notice it....until you replace it. Personally, unless you are hearing the jangles, I'd leave it in. They don't all fail. Mines the original at 30k.

So, the farkles are drawing too much? I'm open to suggestions, the bike's apart now, and I have to wait to buy another new battery- I picked up one of the last 40 of the Diablo promotion with what was supposed to be new battery money. So I've got time to explore. Haven't had a chance to check voltage at the various places yet, will do that tomorrow.

Joe, I really appreciate all your advice in the past few months. It's saved me $$$. The brackets are great for the driving lights, too.

Duane

Guest rockmeupto125

I don't keep a log of everybody's stuff, but that might be a major contributorto your woes (badass lights).

If your battery is more than a couple years old, that can be a part of the equation. As small as it is, it does a lot of work. It also takes hella heat straight back from the engine as it is.

About the higher output stator. It's from Electrosport. The stealer guy called them while I was standing there, and they claim a 15-20% increase in output over OEM. That seemed a pretty decent increase to me, but I don't know what the 99 puts out. They also warranty the thing for a year- according to Alamo Cycle, no questions asked- bring it back, we'll cut you a check sort of thing. It's 139.99 plus tax. They said you can use the OEM R/R or they'll also sell you one of those if you think yours is suspect. Didn't I read here somewhere that Electrosport is Electrex?

Any thoughts?