CBR1100XX.org Forum

Parts to replace, or carry on tour...

county

+1 on the tire repair kit, and +1 on not taking anything to fix something you wouldn't know how to fix at home. I.E., don't bother taking the shop manual. :icon_lol:

LOL I actually had a small travel laptop in my tail bag that had the shop manual and parts manual loaded on it, as well as route maps and other shit. I also used it to keep a journal during our trip. It DID come in hand having the torque specs of certain things on hand while on the road...

+1 on zip ties! If you're going far distances a spare R/R is always handy. The bird and VFR use the same R/R, and both died around 25,000ish. Of course, they -always- die in the worst place. The VFR died while up in northern Arizona on a holiday Monday where there was no dealer open anywhere... The bird died oh 60 miles outside of Blythe at 1 o'clock in the morning on a Saturday.

The way I look at it is the R/R IS going to die, so why not have a spare with you? You're going to use it eventually, so its not wasted funds.

I am hijacking this a bit but:

My 99 is getting some miles on her (27,000) and to date I have had zero failures except CCT

I see an unusual number of reasonable OEM parts on E-Bay at the moment

Any thougts on when Honda will cease producing spares and start selling remaining inventory?

Which parts that are high probability failures, not consumables like lamps,hoses, pads etc. I figure the aftermarket folks will keep those parts even if it is a niche market

I have a few things squirreled away-mufflers (they are just too cheap to pass up), rotors,a 2003 shock, rear sproket, a set of NOT bent headers, and a Yamaha RR that I got into a electronic brawl with the Canadian seller who tagged me as a moron, ($14 including postage was worth the insult)

I know some of you have enough to build another bike. I want to be reasonable. I would like to have a set of plastic but storage is dear and my attic would probably render them useless. "gobsil" used to post here and has a 2000 motor on e-bay yesterday for under $800. I hope he gets more but it would be great to have a spare motor (storage space again) for $800.

I am not trolling for your parts or selling mine, just interested in what the consensus is for spares. There was a time when points (needed two sets) for my BSA were $35 / set and the timing advance that looked like it came out of a Cracker Jack box was $50 used. I want the knowledge to avoid that this time.

At the risk of being accused of not having a sense of humor [is this topic serious? :icon_duh: ] I will add my list of things to travel with.

1. A small can of chain lube [with tube duct taped onto can]- on long trips the chain needs to be lubed periodically.

2. A can of Honda polish-gets bugs and crap off bike with very little effort.

3. small rag for 2.

4. small tool kit with 2 wrenches for adjusting chain; a bicycle foldable collection of allen [alan?] wrenches and screwdriver; small socket wrench with 6, 8, 10,12,14,15,17mm sockets; small vice grip; tire repair kit with pressureized gas [to refill tire, eh?]; defogger and cleaner for helmet viser; a load of ear plugs; some plastic tie downs [what are these called?];

5. rain gear.

6. I am sure I carry evan more stuff- just forget what.

What did I miss?

TimXX

Along with the usual stuff like tie-wraps, chain lube, a little duct tape..

On my last trip, I took my 22mm and 27mm sockets for chain adjustment. The chain was fairly new and a couple thousand miles into my trip it did needed a little tightening. I stopped at an auto garage in a small town, bummed a breaker bar, ratchet and torque wrench. Fixed her up, returned the tools with many thanks, and rode on my merry way.

4. defogger and cleaner for helmet viser

TimXX

Let me give you a tip Pinlock

The BEST riding gear accessory for all year round riders.

Check European site for details. :icon_evilgrin:

You do know that the XX has a hydraulic clutch

Only since county's initial post on this thread...... :icon_razz:

Bugger me.....

All this time I thought that the clutch cable was water cooled :icon_eek:

Just wondering if the clutch cable I need will fit both XXs and the FJR? I hate buying extra spares.

You do know that the XX has a hydraulic clutch and as such uses a line with banjo fittings :icon_duh:

NBL

Better take some extra banjo fittings. Just in case too. :icon_dance::icon_wink:

Just wondering if the clutch cable I need will fit both XXs and the FJR? I hate buying extra spares.

You do know that the XX has a hydraulic clutch and as such uses a line with banjo fittings :icon_duh:

NBL

Better take some extra banjo fittings. Just in case too. :icon_dance::icon_wink:

Or some water? :icon_wall: :icon_wall:

+1 on zip ties!

The way I look at it is the R/R IS going to die, so why not have a spare with you? You're going to use it eventually, so its not wasted funds.

R/R = ? drawing a blank here :icon_think:

At the risk of being accused of not having a sense of humor [is this topic serious? :icon_duh: ] I will add my list of things to travel with.

1. A small can of chain lube [with tube duct taped onto can]- on long trips the chain needs to be lubed periodically.

2. A can of Honda polish-gets bugs and crap off bike with very little effort.

3. small rag for 2.

4. small tool kit with 2 wrenches for adjusting chain; a bicycle foldable collection of allen [alan?] wrenches and screwdriver; small socket wrench with 6, 8, 10,12,14,15,17mm sockets; small vice grip; tire repair kit with pressureized gas [to refill tire, eh?]; defogger and cleaner for helmet viser; a load of ear plugs; some plastic tie downs [what are these called?];

5. rain gear.

6. I am sure I carry evan more stuff- just forget what.

What did I miss?

TimXX

That about covers all but a sink, preferably from a kitchen. :icon_biggrin:

Dameon

R/R = Regulator/rectifier.

I trailer to my favorite riding spots, always find a nail when I ride.

I do carry a oil filter for each of my bikes. Had a non-Honda split once.

That said, I will ride anywhere on my XX and we still take my 87 Magna on long rides.

Service well before leaving. Replace chain, tires, and brakes if marginal. I will replace my origional battery soon, because it is five years old. Not because it won't start now, just don't want to be let down away from home. $91.00 was the best I found on the web for a YTZ14S. Steelers want way more.

I would rather spend that markup money on gas or beer. :icon_razz:

I keep a tire plug kit and a Blackburn air stick under the seat at all times but thats all I've taken on trips other then the stock tool kit and some duct tape, tie wraps, fuses,rags and chain lube.

One thing that has come in handy for me and I would never leave home without is a length (maybe 4 feet) of clear plastic hose. Great for siphoning from another bike or vehicle gas tank if you run out of gas in the middle of knowhere.

One thing that has come in handy for me and I would never leave home without is a length (maybe 4 feet) of clear plastic hose. Great for siphoning from another bike or vehicle gas tank if you run out of gas in the middle of knowhere.

When I bought my first bike in 1960 [a Honda 90], I always carried a plastic hose for siphoning gas. But then, I was a poor student and couldn't afford the 25 cents a gallon that gas cost. Gas just hit $1.05.9 per liter in Vancouver. Maybe I should go back to doing this again- unless stealing gas is now considered grand theft :icon_naughty:

Re: the kitchen sink- I do carry a bicycle water bottle with me. I also have 2 45 liter GIVI bags and a Skookum tank bag. On long trips I ride with these plus a tent and a sleeping bag in a waterproof kayak bag.

AND- it all fits on a XX.

Who needs a Gold Wing or Civic?

TimXX

OK, that's what I thought. Just had to check.

Again, not meaning to hijack a thread again but I have seen that mentioned many times about the R/R crapping out, is it that big a deal? What are the symtoms of one going out? I've also seen that it is being replaced often times with an R/R from an R1. What year, does it matter? Is it a direct bolt on or will the connectors or mounting position need to be modified? I'm sure this has a thread in the Garage area but if someone can point me to the correct thread I'd appreciate it.

Dameon

R/R = Regulator/rectifier.