CBR1100XX.org Forum

30 day challenge

Redd

Ok...I'm kinda giving up...

This week I started training REALLY hard again (8 mile run on Monday, 1 hr bike on Tuesday, 5 mile run on Wednesday, and so on).

I have been eating really well and I weighed myself this morning...

Up 2 pounds... :icon_confused:

So...today I ate Chinese for lunch... :icon_nono:

I'll still play along and continue to weigh in, but I'm losing hope of beating anyone...

This week I started training REALLY hard again (8 mile run on Monday, 1 hr bike on Tuesday, 5 mile run on Wednesday, and so on).

I'll still play along and continue to weigh in, but I'm losing hope of beating anyone...

Sounds like you just need to put more sex into your diet!!!

Its not about beating anyone. Its about being healthy. I know you know that...it just helps to hear it sometimes. Keep up the good work. Don't let yourself feel guilty because you ate an unhealthy meal. You deserve it. Enjoy it then get back to business.

Up 2 lbs...that could be water weight or maybe...you're building muscle...which weighs more than fat.

That's why I say the scale is bad. Just keep going and be consistant.

Remember, a woman could weigh 125 and have 20% bodyfat and you could have a woman that weigh 130 and has 14% bodyfat. The woman at 130 is going to look more fit because her bodyfat is lower and she has more lean muscle mass. Her body will be tight and tone.

IPB Image

LOL!!! I LOVE that cartoon!!!

The scale does make you cry....but mostly discouraged!!!

I appreciate all the kind words of support...

I guess with my current training schedule I'm not as worried about my weight...

I KNOW it will start to drop since I will be working out at minimum an hour per day for 6 days per week...

I was just frustrated...and REALLY hungry...I'm not sure if I was getting enough calories...

Back to the gym tonight...swimming for 30 min and biking for 50 min.

Thanks again everybody!!!

:icon_biggrin:

LOL!!! I LOVE that cartoon!!!

The scale does make you cry....but mostly discouraged!!!

I appreciate all the kind words of support...

I guess with my current training schedule I'm not as worried about my weight...

I KNOW it will start to drop since I will be working out at minimum an hour per day for 6 days per week...

I was just frustrated...and REALLY hungry...I'm not sure if I was getting enough calories...

Back to the gym tonight...swimming for 30 min and biking for 50 min.

Thanks again everybody!!!

:icon_biggrin:

Are you weight training any or just doing cardio?

You can drink water to trick your body into thinking it's full.

No weight training...

I don't have time...

I am just doing cardio (I am training for half-marathons, triathlons, etc.) so I swim, bike, and run.

I've done this type of intense training before, but it was a couple summers ago...

Yeah....I'm sure I need to drink more water...I bet that would help.

Damn woman, that's alot of cardio. What finally broke my cardio plateu was going from 2 miles at 25% effort to 1 mile at 75%-80% effort. I would dead RUN for a period of time then walk some then do it repeatedly. Lately I've had very little time for any training at all so I'm just playing tricks with metabolism. I have alot of muscle mass so the fat burns with minimal activity.

I eat ALOT (every 2.5 hours or so) and very healthy. Tyzo's right on the money about the how-to. I weighed this AM and I'm only down a pound from last week but my body fat keeps going down so that's keeping me motivated.

Official weekly results tomorrow...

I know it's a lot of cardio, but it's a common training plan for someone who is racing as much as I will be this spring and summer...

Doing the different exercises is a different workout and not as hard on your body as running every day...

I don't know my body fat...

Do you have a scale that measures it???

How accurate do you think it is???

Was it expensive???

Maybe I should get one...

Yeah I was gifted a scale that measures your weight, water percentage, and bodyfat. It's pretty accurate depending on the ammount of water I have in my system. The better hydrated I am, the more accurate it seems to be. I have a buddy that's a P.A. and he checked me with calipers, tape, and some sort of electronic hand held fat measuring devide. All of them read within an acceptable tolerance of the scale so I believe it.

Helps me out alot because of my build. measurring inches lost definitely isn't the most effective guage for me.

Last week I lost one pound, but 4% bodyfat. 1 pound loss in a whole week and normally I woul've given up!

I know it's a lot of cardio, but it's a common training plan for someone who is racing as much as I will be this spring and summer...

Doing the different exercises is a different workout and not as hard on your body as running every day...

I don't know my body fat...

Do you have a scale that measures it???

How accurate do you think it is???

Was it expensive???

Maybe I should get one...

Don't use a bodyfat scale..they are junk.

If you go to a gym...they should be able to do a caliper test on you to get bodyfat..now this is only as accurate as the person performing the test but it would get you in the ballpark. The water bf test is the best but expensive.

I personally would add some weight training to your program...it would do many things...give you more muscle mass which will cause you to burn way more calories when you do cardio. And it will give you more strength and endurance for your races.

I bicycle over mountain passes here in Colorado and I attribute my strong climbing skills to my strong legs I get from weight training.

If you need anymore advice..just ask.

Robin

Honestly...

With the chinese food yesterday and drinking last night...I had no motivation to weight in...

On Thursday I was up 2 lbs. so let's go with that number...

Yeah me!!!

:icon_dance:

:icon_razz:

Congrats to everyone who continues to lose!!!

A lb. is still a loss...

Well done!!! :icon_clap:

I hope to be joining you soon!

Great pics out to Robin and Brett... gives some inspiration for trying that 90 day program for myself and tracking it as such. I'm wouldn't be out to loose poundage so much, but to gain muscle and get cut... dropping percentage in body fat.

Maybe start after that 26.2.

Ok...I'm kinda giving up...Me too!!!

You'll beat me Melissa!! Just weighed myself.........UP 10 lbs from last Friday!!!! :icon_eek:

Played basketball for couple hours with my nephew & son on Sunday, and have run/walked couple times this week for at least 1/2 hour per. I give up.......with that kinda weight gain I may as well just become some fat sloth sitting on the couch continually eating a bucket of chicken :icon_rolleyes:

No movement for me today.

I expected that...

Eating is going great.....excersize not so great...Im having some problems and I have an appointment with my cardiologist on Monday.

No movement for me today.

I expected that...

Eating is going great.....excersize not so great...Im having some problems and I have an appointment with my cardiologist on Monday.

Damnit NO, Lacy's having heart problems too!

sucks

Crap! What kind of problems has she been having?

We don't know yet, aside from assorted problems related to an eccentric pulmonic valve. They have her on beta-blockers and something to moderate her blood pressure. Seems to be working because she's not passing out any more.

I figured I'd request thoughts and prayers from the board when we found out what the problem was, but we still don't know

Sorry to hear that. Im not alone then.

I was passing out a year ago....and then was fine for quite a while. But recently I started to spontaneously passing out again. I have been recently having severe events. Ive been avoiding the cardiologist, partly cause Im stubborn, and partly because Im afraid, I thought whatever it was worked itself out. In previous appointments He couldnt quite put his finger on what it was, but he did record very chaotic rapid heartbeat events, which happens before I pass out.

I dont like talking about it, cause I dont like thinking about it. I have new reason to go in and get to the bottom of it...because my daughter, who is a spitting image of me at that age, has started to experience the same symptoms I did at her age.

It may sound funny...but it feels like it is mis firing....certain things can set it off....

Like if someone hides around the corner and scares the shit out of me...

Or when I am excersizing or over exerting myself....

Not all episodes make me pass out.

But I dont want to be riding my motorcycle and pass out like I have done....that's for sure. I will keep her in my prayers...

Ticker problems are the worst....I'll be thinking about her. :icon_frown:

Damn Deac and Redd!!!

You guys better knock it off!!!

We already have enough fake drama between DBLXX and Aimless XX...

We don't need any REAL drama!!!

Serioulsy, Redd I hope everything is ok with you.

And Deacon...I knew about Lacy and each time I heard about it again it always makes me send good thoughts your way...

Keep us posted you two!

Stay healthy everyone...

That sounds ALOT what's going on with Lacy, Redd. She says she can tell when she's going to have a spell because her forehead or nose will go numb, then right before she passes out she gets elevated body temp and her heart rate goes nuts.

They initially thought heart valve leakage was the main concern but if your heart's not pumping right, your heart rate will go up and your blood pressure goes down. In this case, both went through the roof (HIGHLY un usual) She had a Trans-esophogeal EKG that ruled out ventricular septum problems, so the doc thought she was fine. They gave her a tilt-test and she failed that pretty bad so they know SOMETHING is wrong but what it is is anyone's guess. The medical journals I've been reading say that similar symptoms accompany strokes, which explains the passing out as a lack of blood to a part of the brain. So I'm thinking a dye-test would make any blockages show up.

So, she's on some sort of blood pressure medication and beta blockers, which seemed to make the problem all but go away.

Personally, I think something's still there, and I want them to find it before we try to have kids and it becomes a serious issue.

Deacon and Redd: What about this?

Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome

What is Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome?

Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) syndrome is a condition in which there is an extra electrical connection between the upper chambers of the heart (the atria) and the lower chambers of the heart (the ventricles).

Normally, electrical signals use only one pathway (the atrio-ventricular or A-V node) when they move through the heart between the atria and ventricles. As the electrical signal moves through the lower chambers, it causes the heart to beat. The electrical signal must be coordinated in order for the heart to contract (beat) properly.

In WPW, the extra electrical connection between the upper and lower chambers may cause a short circuit. With this short circuit, the heart beats very quickly. Instead of its normal rate of 70 to 80 beats a minute, it may beat over 200 times a minute (tachycardia).

How does it occur?

This extra pathway is present at birth. No one knows what causes it. It may cause symptoms as early as the first year of life or as late as age 60.

What are the symptoms?

Most of the time, people with WPW have no symptoms. When supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) develops, however, the most common symptom is palpitations. You may feel your heart pounding rapidly in your chest. Sometimes you feel the pounding in your throat or neck. Sometimes the heart may beat so fast that you get dizzy or lightheaded or may even pass out.

In general, WPW syndrome is not life-threatening. However, you may develop atrial fibrillation (the upper part of your heart beats or quivers faster than the rest of your heart). The heart may be forced to beat so rapidly that it stops pumping completely. Fortunately, this situation is quite rare.

How is it diagnosed?

You will have an electrocardiogram (ECG) to measure the electrical activity of your heart. If a distinctive pattern shows on your ECG, and you have SVT, you will be diagnosed with WPW syndrome. If this distinctive pattern does not show on the ECG, you may need an electrophysiology study (EPS). EPS tests the condition of your heart's conduction system by measuring the speed of an electrical impulse traveling through the system. It locates conduction pathways that are in the wrong place.

Some people with WPW syndrome may be asked to have an echocardiogram. This test shows the structural health of the heart and its valves.

How is it treated?

People with no symptoms, or whose symptoms are short-lived, usually don't need treatment. Fast or irregular heartbeats can often be treated with medicine. But sometimes medicine doesn't work. You may need cardioversion, for which you are sedated and then a brief electrical shock to the chest is used to get the heart rhythm back to normal.

If you have severe and frequent symptoms, you may have a procedure known as radiofrequency ablation. In this procedure, a flexible tube called a catheter is placed in the heart through a vein or artery in the groin. The catheter is guided to the extra pathway. The extra pathway is cauterized (destroyed) with a low energy electrical current.

With proper treatment, your heart may beat in a healthy rhythm, and you may resume a more normal lifestyle.

Written by Edward Havranek, MD

Copyright © 2005 McKesson Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries. All Rights Reserved.

]

Duane