CBR1100XX.org Forum

Polished lip upkeep question

PlasticxxHead

What can I use to get into those deep oxidation spots on my polished lips?

Can I use a brillo pad or something like that.. I can only polish the same spot sooo many times without the deep pits coming out...

Anyone know of a more aggressive cleaner/ scrubber

Take it to Nexxt and have someone piss on it... problem solved... :icon_eh:

No seriously.

What kind of polish are you using now?

McGuires makes a damn fine metal polish. I can't think of the exact name off hand, and I am at work so I can't go out to the garage and look. If I remember I will check when I get home and post it for you.

The stuff I am trying to remove is not gunk, It's oxidation pitting..

I really wanna get in there with some fine steel wool, or wet sanding..

Anyone know if that wll gouge too deep...

I have two nice polishes.. A blue ribbion and a independent, But they only bring up the shine on the parts not deeply oxidized...

You'll have to wet sand Pete. Start out with 1500 grit and see if that is coarse enough. After that use those flat buffing wheels on an electric drill with the polishing compounds that they sell with the wheels. Go to Harborfreight.com they have what I'm talking about. I'll try to find the link later.

You'll have to wet sand Pete. Start out with 1500 grit and see if that is coarse enough. After that use those flat buffing wheels on an electric drill with the polishing compounds that they sell with the wheels. Go to Harborfreight.com they have what I'm talking about. I'll try to find the link later.

Home Depot carries all the polishing wheels and compound sticks you need.

Never mind Harbor Freight doesn't have it on their website anymore. Like CBRBob said go to Home Depot or Lowes they have the wheels and compound sticks. I just did some of the engine covers for the CB650 last night. They came up great with just a compound,

:icon_naughty: I have had the wheel and the compounds for a year already..

It seems that when I use them they leave behind a gummy looking booger.. I then stop the wheel and scrap the booger off with my finger nail, apply more pressure with the wheel and the same thing happens...

I may just have to spend an afternoon on my knees if you know what I mean.. :icon_naughty:

Be careful with any kind of sanding....it usually dulls and fucks the existing paint up. I woudl re-tape it with foil if I was sanding.

There is no paint where he is polishing.

Yep, too much compound and dont forget to clean the wheel periodically to remove excess/dirty compound.

Shit that's a long ride to get a quick polish job, You got anything else to offer?

You know Rick.. If we could tint out my headlight, I might make the journey..

WhaT DO YOU want in return??

I am gonna go get some fresh polishing pads and give it another try..