CBR1100XX.org Forum

tire mounting prices

AXXKicker

i've not yet received my shipment from swmoto (m1 & z6), but in anticipation of their arrival, i called the dealership i had to use last time.

a front tire (i just brought 'em the wheel) purchased, mounted & balanced cost me around $200. and for my trouble, they scratched the shit out of my front rim.

to mount 2 tires (if i brought 'em the bike) would be $189 and if i bring just the wheels, they want $45 each.

thoughts?

brc.

Harbor Freight. It's currently on sale. :icon_dance:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=34542

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=42927

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tirechange

Only difference is I don't use the long red arm, just tire irons.

Saved me hundreds of dollars already the way I go throught tires.

this dealership wants $45 per tire off the bike, $189 plus tax on the bike for the change.

'we really try to discourage people from buying tires elsewhere and having us put them on.'

'well, the last time i needed a front tire, it was over $200 installed. and as a benefit, you scratched my rim so badly, i had to touch it up'.

'youll have to speak to parts about tire prices'.

assholes.

anyway, i thought i'd give 'em the benefit of the doubt and see what it would run me if i bought the tires at the dealership.

after discussing my wants with the parts guy, and reassuring him that an m1 front and z6 rear wouldn't cause unstable handling, i was given his best price:

$140 for the front, $221 for the rear. i have ordered my set from swmototires for $216- shipped.

'do you pricematch?'

'no'.

thanks a pantload.

i would have purchased the tire mounting stuff, but i literally have no place to put it. so for now, i'll have to be creative.

I don't know if you have a cycle gear store in your area, but they charge $15-$20 a wheel, off bike only.

I'm not sure of the exact price right off the top of my head, but that's what I remember them quoting.

Of course taking them to another rider's place has the benefit of social interaction with another of at least passably decent taste in bikes, and the possibility of intelligent conversation while waiting to be able to put the bike back in use. :icon_razz:

The local tire guy (car tire dealer but has equipment for bikes) mounts for $20 per

wheel with the wheels off the bike; he doesn't offer wheels-on-the-bike service.

I just had a Pilot Power mounted on the rear, but I removed the wheel from the bike first. It cost me $32 at a tiny little mom and pop cycle shop. Earlier in the morning I waited for a well known dealership to open only to be told by the service man that they would not mount the tire due to it not being ordered through them... wow money is evil

You can do either the front or back with some common tools. The Chinese tire irons for $5 a pair are the number 1 investment. A cardboard box to keep the rim safe is good. I use leather for rim protectors but plastic or cardboard will do. Take the wheel off, unscrew and remove the valve stem, do not try to bleed the tire with the valve stem in place. Take a "C" clamp and squeeze the sidewall till the beads fall to the center of the rim, repeat. After that work one side off. The other can be peeled off by hand. It is not easy work but it can be done. Place the tire on with the direction mark correct on top of the rim on top of the box. Watch to make sure the bearings / cush drive does not fall out. Work one side on at the time. When you fill the tire, leave the stem out as it will allow more air to rush in and seal the bead. You can reseat the stem after it seals. If air leaks, bounce the tire on the pavement several times. To balance, support the axel between two chairs or whatever you have and mark the point where the wheel settles to the bottom after 4 or 5 tries, you should have a good idea about the heavy spot on the rim. Cheap tires usually require more. I have heard that the green dot indicates the heaviest spot on the tire but I can't prove that. Put a small weight on the opposite 180 degrees and repeat. Probably take 15 minutes and it is static so it probably will not match a computer but I can't tell the difference. This is not for the faint of heart or couch potatoe, it will work up a sweat on you but you get it done when you want for practically nothing and if you are careful, it will be as good or better than a "dealer". These people are right about harbor freight and Northern tools etc but I can't house all of that stuff so I substitute muscle for equipment. I cannot stand to wait on another human being when I want to ride. P.S. the bead is reinfiorced with a metal hoop. It does not cut.