CBR1100XX.org Forum

ZZR 1200 springs installed

pug

The zzr springs are now installed.

Before starting I gave the bird a good wash and before starting dissasembly I took some measurements.

I measured the ride height fore and aft.

My suspension settings wer Hyperpro springs at the front with forks 46 mm above tripple clamp, where at the rear is -same length with std- WP shock with a 18 kg spring with 14 mm preload and 4mm shimming.

post-1474-1141580708_thumb.jpg

In the front I took as datum point the distance from the top fairing's middle bolt to the floor, while at the rear I used the rack's front bolt. Since I didn't have any helping hand, I put the bike to the wall as upright as I could.

post-1474-1141581028_thumb.jpg

Front was about 81.9 cm and rear 103 cm.

One thing I forgot to do was to check my tire pressures. Because of the washing might be a couple psi down. Last time I checked them was last Monday (42 psi).

Then I took the forks off and got the springs out of them.

Also I had a second set of spacers which I had cut to 173mm when I tried some preload adjusters.

In the photos you can see all of my springs-spacers collection:

post-1474-1141581386_thumb.jpg

After replacing the used oil with TORCO SAE 10 at 140mm, I put the ZZR's springs with the shortened spacers. Combined lenght is 443 mm while the std combination is about 433 mm. That means that I have 10 mm preload over std. While compressing the right leg before puting it on the bike, I noticed a crieking (is that right?) noise. Strangely, the left leg wasn't producing any strange noises. I pulled the spring off and I couldn't see any signs of contact with the leg. One thing that I noticed is that the lower I.D. of the ZZR spring is smaller than the other's.

After putting the forks onto the bike, I did the ride height measurements. Well at the front was about the same but at the rear was almost 1 cm lower. The only technical explanation I can give is that weight distribution was changed. Or I didn't put the bike to the wall as in the initiall measurement...

Ridewise, my first impressions (about 15 miles mostly 2-up) is that the bike rides higher at the front but compared to HYPERPRO it rides better over potholes and bumps. I increased afterwards the 'fork above tripple clamp' to 47 mm but I only rode it around the block.

I think that my next step will be to shorten the spacers 10 mm.

Have you done valving or is it still OEM on the forks?

No revalving yet. I think I would like more compression damping.

Another -more expensive- route is to change the internals (cartridge)

so I'll get adjustments as well, but I don't feel THAT sick (for the time).

Arctic, I thinh you had your forks revalved, do you have any precise specs?

You need to get sag measuements to see where you're at. To late for "before" measurements, but the "after" measurements are what matters now, anyway.

If I recall from a previous thread, the ZZR spings are good bit heavier than the XX stockers, I'd be interested in where your sag ended up and your weight.

You need to get sag measuements to see where you're at. To late for "before" measurements, but the "after" measurements are what matters now, anyway.

If I recall from a previous thread, the ZZR spings are good bit heavier than the XX stockers, I'd be interested in where your sag ended up and your weight.

Tim, my 'before' static sag was in the ballpark, i.e. about 30 to 35 mm front and 5 to 10 mm rear with the already mentioned setup. I am not accurate because I did it alone with a tie-wrap in the fork. My weight is about 108 kg.

Anyway is very difficult to setup suspension the last few days in Athens. We have clouds coming from Africa and when it rains, it rains Sahara's sand. Today before leaving for work, I decreased rear preload 1mm (to 13 mm) and the XX spins almost everywhere (with a good Pilot Power rear).

Soon I"ll post sag numbers with the new setup.

Just measured front sag very briefly (with the aid of my assistant), might not be accurate

10 to 15mm static, 30 to 35 mmmm with me on the bike.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I did, I'll get the specs for you and post it later.

Any luck whith the valving specs Arctic?