CBR1100XX.org Forum

SS brake lines which ones?

firedlt

Hi I have looking at replacing the OEM lines with SS and there are a few manufactures out there. Does it matter which one you choose or does one companies fit better on the bird. Looking at either gaffer or Spiegler, Is there one better? thanks

Most folks around here have the Spieglers just because we had a group buy on them last year. FIt and finish seems pretty good on them. I know the spieglers come in a 9 line kit. Clutch line is extra. If you don't replace all of the lines you won't get quite as much improvement. Y ou will still get alot of improvement, but not as much as if you replace all of them. I believe the Spiegler kit is around $450 and another $70 for the clutch line, or somewhere around there.

I just did mine last week, and they are unreal! :icon_cool:

Most folks around here have the Spieglers just because we had a group buy on them last year. FIt and finish seems pretty good on them. I know the spieglers come in a 9 line kit. Clutch line is extra. If you don't replace all of the lines you won't get quite as much improvement. Y ou will still get alot of improvement, but not as much as if you replace all of them. I believe the Spiegler kit is around $450 and another $70 for the clutch line, or somewhere around there.

I just did mine last week, and they are unreal! :icon_cool:

Goodridge.......

The banjo's and lines are separate and are easier to install and align.

I don't know which is 'better' as I have only owned the Galfer. I only did the fronts and clutch. Figured I wouldn't notice if I did the rear.

Fit is good. Easy to install. Reasonably priced, especially if you go to cyclebrakes.com and get the XX Forum discount.

I don't know which is 'better' as I have only owned the Galfer. I only did the fronts and clutch. Figured I wouldn't notice if I did the rear.

Fit is good. Easy to install. Reasonably priced, especially if you go to cyclebrakes.com and get the XX Forum discount.

+1. I went the same route and have been happy with the results. :icon_biggrin:

+1. I went the same route and have been happy with the results. :icon_biggrin:

Do the Galfer lines route the same way as the OEM lines?

I read here that people are having all kinds of trouble with SPiegler (shoter/longer than OEM and other problems) so I'm going to try Galfer.

Thanks.

The lines are easy to install. The front brake lines both go to the master cylinder and share a longer banjo bolt. They go directly from there to the calipers. Some of the OEM hard piping can be eliminated.

The hardest part of installing the clutch line is removing the OEM lines. It's a piece of cake after that.

Be sure and ask for Melissa if you decide to go to Cycle Brakes. She will get the CBR1100XX.org discount for you.

The lines are easy to install. The front brake lines both go to the master cylinder and share a longer banjo bolt. They go directly from there to the calipers. Some of the OEM hard piping can be eliminated.

The hardest part of installing the clutch line is removing the OEM lines. It's a piece of cake after that.

Be sure and ask for Melissa if you decide to go to Cycle Brakes. She will get the CBR1100XX.org discount for you.

Does Galfer make one that connects to the original hard line just like OEM?

I don't see any benefits of eliminating the hard line so I like to keep it

if possible.

Thanks.

Does Galfer make one that connects to the original hard line just like OEM?

I don't see any benefits of eliminating the hard line so I like to keep it

if possible.

Thanks.

The only system that uses the original hard lines is made by HEL. I have a set, but have yet to install them.

Thanks for the Info I have been leaning toward the galfer setup. I noticed that tehy are posted on the Ebay list as well for the CBR XX parts. is the forum discount more than they have listed on the Ebay page? I also like the fact that Galfer has colored outside to jaz it up alittle kinda of like the gold.

Hi I have looking at replacing the OEM lines with SS and there are a few manufactures out there. Does it matter which one you choose or does one companies fit better on the bird. Looking at either gaffer or Spiegler, Is there one better? thanks

Ive used the hel

Im very happy with the perfromance

Try them

The only system that uses the original hard lines is made by HEL. I have a set, but have yet to install them.

Since you are selling your bike this fall, I could take those lines off your hands.

Sure, but they'll come with a bike attached. :icon_lol:

Does the Galfer line set come with a longer banjo bolt as part of the set or do I need to order this bolt separately?

Thanks.

I just ordered the galfer fronts and the clutch line for 143 shipped. from a_z powersellers on ebay. Seemed like a good price to me ...

SO is this a 3-line kit (2 lines for the front brakes and 1 for the clutch)?

Does it come with a longer banjo bolt for the 2 front brake lines?

Thanks.

The Galfer lines came with a longer banjo bolt for the front brakes. I have VFR bars and ordered them 2" longer than stock. I think 1" would have been enough.

As far as price goes, Cycle Brakes was offering the front lines for $70 and the clutch line for $40 on our recent attempt at a group buy. They will probably still offer those prices if you tell them you are a member of CBR1100X.org. Ask for Melissa.

The Galfer lines came with a longer banjo bolt for the front brakes. I have VFR bars and ordered them 2" longer than stock. I think 1" would have been enough.

As far as price goes, Cycle Brakes was offering the front lines for $70 and the clutch line for $40 on our recent attempt at a group buy. They will probably still offer those prices if you tell them you are a member of CBR1100X.org. Ask for Melissa.

Thanks, Jim. I'll call them Monday.

What's the proper procedure to replace brake/clutch lines? JUst remove

them and then let the brake fluid drained, then install and refill brake

fluid and bleed?

fluid and bleed?

Yep. That's about it. Bleeding will be easier if you have a Mity-Vac or something similar.

fluid and bleed?

Yep. That's about it. Bleeding will be easier if you have a Mity-Vac or something similar.

Thanks, Jim. Sorry for keep asking some dumb questions:

- I have the shop manual and I just went out to take a look at the brake lines:

the stock front brake master cyclinder has 1 brake hose that goes to this

metal block above the front fender. From there, a 2nd brake hose goes to

the right brake caliber. Also from this metal block, hard lines run to another

metal block on the left side. From here, a 3rd brake hose runs to the left caliber.

- So, I assume the Galfer 2-line set replaces these 1st, 2nd and 3rd brake hoses?

(I assume that Galfer 1st line goes from master cylinder to the right caliber, then

a 2nd Galfer line goes from master cylinder to the left caliber, directly?)

- If yes, how do you block off the inlet of the right metal block and the outlet of

the left metal block?

Thanks again!

Don't worry about asking questions around here. Most everyone is glad to help.

Each brake line goes directly from the master cylinder to its respective caliper. You can remove the old lines along with the block and hard line attached. There was nothing that required plugging on my bike. Yours should be the same.

It will be self explanatory once you dig into it.

Don't worry about asking questions around here. Most everyone is glad to help.

Each brake line goes directly from the master cylinder to its respective caliper. You can remove the old lines along with the block and hard line attached. There was nothing that required plugging on my bike. Yours should be the same.

It will be self explanatory once you dig into it.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

May be the 97 is different. I saw the metal block is shared by both the front

and rear brakes lines. How can you remove it?

Thanks again.

It's been too long since I installed my lines for me to remember all the details. I do seem to remember two blocks bolted together and one came off with the lines. Mine's a 2000.

Your 2000 must be different as I saw on my 97, the 2 metal blocks (1 on the left fork and 1 on

the right fork) are 1-piece type and there are 2 metal tubes connecting the 2 blocks. The shop

manual is not very clear what is what but it looks like they are used for both

the front and rear brake.

Anybody has a 97 can give some comments?

Thank you again.

-mike-