CBR1100XX.org Forum

Checking coolant level question

DirtTorpedo

Take a semi-rigid clear plastic tube/straw (they're usually about 10" long). Dip it into the overflow bottle until it touches the bottom. Mark the straw/tube at the same level as the top of the bottle with an indelible pen/marker (or just snug a rubber band around the straw at that same point - without collapsing the straw/tube... duh..). Now the trick - place a finger over the open top of the tube and lift the tube straight up... an amount equal to the depth of the liquid in the overflow bottle should be visibly trapped in the tube shaft (unless you've broken the fingertip seal at the top... trust me, you'll know... then you get to repeat the procedure). Now for the extremely anal-retentive, you can hold the tube alongside the bottle (even with the top & bottom, of course) and see the approximate level in the bottle - you have to remember to add the volume of liquid held captive in the tube in your calculations... oh yeah, replace what you've borrowed... :wink:

This requires removing the right fairing, but works really well-

Remove the overflow hose from the nipple by the radiator cap, hold it level with the line on the resevoir tank (this is about even with the forwardmost bolt on the tailpiece). pour in your mix until it come out the hose, then put it back together.

You may even be able to do this withour pulling the fairing. I've never tried, I've seemed to have it off everytime it's come up.