CBR1100XX.org Forum

Electrical problem?

dimbluexx

This is my first post ; however, I have been lurking here for the past couple of weeks and I have found this site very informative and useful. I have a 99 bluebird that just turned over 50,000 km, most of which was done in the past 2 years. Now I have a little problem that I only discovered this weekend while leaning on the horn to alert a deer, (a fair ways own the road) that I was coming. The engine was spinning at about 6000 rpm and when I hit the horn the engine missed for split second as if the power was cut. I was very curious so for the rest of the day I tooted the horn at different rpms and under different loads. It didn't seem to miss at lower rpms, but at the higher rpms it would always miss. The miss would only occur at the initial split second after I blasted the horn but would disappear if I held the horn open. I have also noticed that lately the bike has not been running as smoothly at certain rpms. However, I contribute this to the fact that I have just installed a new power commander and I haven't quite found the right settings yet. I don't think that the 2 are related. Does anyone have any ideas?

I suspected that my regulator/rectifier my be the culprit after reading posts about this problem occuring around this mileage. When you refer to the left bar switch housing are you talking about the housing mounted to the handlebar clip-ons, clutch side? I replaced the originals with vfr clip ons a few months back and I have been loosening and moving them around a bit. Also I transport my bike on a trailer a fair amount and the canyon dancers that I use to strap the bike down may be resting against the housing. I didn't even think of this possibility. Thanks for pointing it out.