CBR1100XX.org Forum

Valvetrain chubby!

Warchild

Fucking-A, dudes!!! I'm a happy mo-fo tonight!

Just got through performing a long, long, LOOOOOOOOOONG overdue valve clearance check.... like it's been over 55,000 miles since I last looked at 'em..... :(

Thankfully, 15 of the 16 valves were absolutely DEAD NUTS in the middle of spec! The inboard exhaust valve on cylinder #3 is a pinch tighter that the others, it measured out at .210 mm. All other exhaust valves measured out at .223, and every single intake measure out at .155 mm. No pulling the cams this time... WOO-HOO!!!!!!!! :D

Over 73,000 high-speed miles under some very arduous Endurance Rally conditions, and *still* haven't had to adjust a valve yet!

valvetrain.jpg

But you had to go check them, didn't you?

Where's the trust, Warchild? :lol:

Well..... I felt guilty about it.

That, and the fact the 'ol Night Train is going to see some exceptionally heavy-duty Endurance rally work this summer. Five separate events in the hot Desert West between May and August. I'll be spending considerable time blazing at supra-legel speeds for 24-36 hours straight. So the bike is getting some serious TLC this winter, and also some brand new killer mods that need extensive testing before they are used in competition. B)

Nice photo! At first glance I thought dang this guy is thorough. Thought you pulled the motor to check the valves.. :)

You don't?

blackbird_engine.jpg

Really easy to do the valve adjustment with the frame out of the way. Some guys pull the forks to change their oil, some guys remove the engine to adjust the valves. ;)

Really easy to do the valve adjustment with the frame out of the way. Some guys pull the forks to change their oil, some guys remove the engine to adjust the valves. ;)

It is, IMO, somewhat of an ass-pain to work around the frame to check the valve clearances... but slightly less painful than to pull the motor altogether. :lol: