CBR1100XX.org Forum

Running rich need jet kit?

Moriartii

Since I have gotten my 97 bird I have noticed the after smell of gas when I put her to bed when finished riding. I did a search and thought it may be the plugs. So I changed out the plugs. In doing so I noticed nothing out of the ordinary on the plugs themselves. Also checked the breather lines (?) and they are clear and not kinked.

Only other thing I think it could be is the fact I have a Yosh RS-3 full exhaust on the bike 4-2-1. Came with the bike and I am assuming it was not jetted when the exhaust was added. I notice that when I choke the bike in cooler weather is idles up rough (way rich) and has the heavy gas smell. Would I benefit from a Factory pro kit and if so how hard is it to install myself?

I think I could do it BUT the little part and shit make me nervous as well as jacking around with my bike's fuel system.

Thoughts?

Thank you

Kinley

From what you're saying, I'd say it already has a jet kit in it, but it's maybe set a little rich... You'd know if it didn't have a jet kit... it would cut out almost completely at ~5k - ~7500rpm... that's what mine did...

Mike

From what you're saying, I'd say it already has a jet kit in it, but it's maybe set a little rich... You'd know if it didn't have a jet kit... it would cut out almost completely at ~5k - ~7500rpm... that's what mine did...

Mike

Yes it seems to have a very decided "flat spot' ~ 5K till about ~65Kish. Hence also adding to my suspicions of it not having a jet kit in it.

Kinley

Mike

Yes it seems to have a very decided "flat spot' ~ 5K till about ~65Kish. Hence also adding to my suspicions of it not having a jet kit in it.

Kinley

With stock carb setup and adding a full aftermarket exhaust, your bike would run lean and as such could use a jet kit. Could the previous owner have backed out the idle mixture screws to help with the lean condition?? If so, it is not unusal at all to have a heavey gas smell at idle.

To check for lean or fat at 5k to 7.5k give the bike a little choke while riding at that rpm...if it speeds up and runs better, it is running lean....if it runs worse, then its fat.

A jet kit is not hard to install. My bird is FI, but I have alot of experience with 80s honda CV type carbs.

Ride down to Houston and we'll set you up

now... there's a difference between a "flat spot" and "cuttingthe fuck out"... Mine "cut the fuck out" before the jet kit...

Mike

@ Barton-no it is a decided flat spot and not a "cutting the fuck out" :lol: so I think that part is ok.

@ Porter-I will give what you suggested a look see and once I get the kit will plan a run down to Houston if the offer is open.

Thank you

kinley

now... there's a difference between a "flat spot" and "cuttingthe fuck out"... Mine "cut the fuck out" before the jet kit...

Mike

@ Barton-no it is a decided flat spot and not a "cutting the fuck out" :lol: so I think that part is ok.

@ Porter-I will give what you suggested a look see and once I get the kit will plan a run down to Houston if the offer is open.

Thank you

kinley

Offer is open....come on down...even have a spare room for overnight....been a looooong time since we had cumpny....if you know what I mean :D:D

Mike

Thank you

kinley

Offer is open....come on down...even have a spare room for overnight....been a looooong time since we had cumpny....if you know what I mean :D:D

Dayam it Porter no broke back mountain lovin!!!!!!! fucko

Mike

Thank you

kinley

Oh well....have it your way.

Offer still stands....your safe, my wife will be there :D

Oh well....have it your way.

Offer still stands....your safe, my wife will be there :D

Didnt mention a threesome, nasty man!!!!!!!!! :D