CBR1100XX.org Forum

18T front sprocket...

bartonmd

Sounds like a good change to make. Anyone know if there is a factory Honda rubber-damped 18T?

There is not... I just used the regular AFAM one...

Mike

After reading 5 or more years of these posts... I don't believe that there is, only a 16T, wheelie dampening sproket is available that has the exact fit.

If you find one, let me know. I would love to have one too. Can I hear GROUP BUY on that?

-Obby

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't we conclude that the VFR800 used a 18T dampened sprocket that was a direct replacement?

Or was that the 16T? :icon_think:

I think that was the 16....

Mike

Yep, 16T :icon_wink:

And on this subject. Why isn't anyone changing the rear sproket? I had a 44T on my '97 (dropped a tooth from stock), lowered the rev's just a little. Is changing the front to a 18T a better way to go?

It's cheaper than the rear (to the tune of ~1/2), plus it, theoretically anyway, lets the chain last longer because it's getting bent less each time around.... Add to that, that the rear sprocket lasts for 2 chains and the front only lasts for 1 chain, so you have to replace it anyway... those 3 are why I did it...

Mike

It's cheaper than the rear (to the tune of ~1/2), plus it, theoretically anyway, lets the chain last longer because it's getting bent less each time around.... Add to that, that the rear sprocket lasts for 2 chains and the front only lasts for 1 chain, so you have to replace it anyway... those 3 are why I did it...

Mike

Front only lasts for ONE CHAIN ... Oooh geez :icon_shifty:. I never looked at my front sproket :icon_redface: Two chains now on the same front sproket. The rear is starting to show signs of wear, but within limits.

Mike

+1

Always do the front sprocket with a new chain Obby, You'll soon be ratcheting the chain as it slips around the front sprocket. Not to mention it will speed wear on a new chain. I'd check it pronto.

After much thinking and paying attention while I ride (not to mention the FUCKING GAS PRICES! :icon_evil: ) I'm going to go order an 18 tooth AFAM.

Anybody want a 17 tooth AFAM still in the package?

How much $$??

After much thinking and paying attention while I ride (not to mention the FUCKING GAS PRICES! :icon_evil: ) I'm going to go order an 18 tooth AFAM.

Anybody want a 17 tooth AFAM still in the package?

How much $$??

$18...

Mike

OK, so I know Joe has done this and said it was OK, but I'm curious as to exactly what everyone thinks about it...

1. Mileage increase?

2. there are a Ton of variables to this, but chains last longer? (bigger radius, not as much wear)

3. Acceleration from a stop?

4. top gear roll-on power?

5. It makes the speedo about right doesn't it?

6. Anything else?

Edited to add: 7. Is stop and go traffic harder because of a higher "clutch out at idle" speed?

Thanks,

Mike

All my information is from a gearing standpoint.. And everything is relitive to your bike.. It might be different..

1. A little better gas mileage if you are going a distance, city mileage will suffer

2. The chain might last a little longer, but I seriously doubt you'll notice a difference

3. Your acceleration will slow down

4. Top gear roll on will slow down too.

5. I'm not sure where the speedo pickup is, if it's taken off the front sprocket, then it'll make it wrong, if it's on the front wheel like most bikes, then it shouldn't change at all..

6. Your overall top speed should increase a tiny bit, but with a bike like this that little bit wouldn't matter unless you hit those speeds all the time..

7. It's a wet clutch setup, so it'll last quite a while anyways, but it will burn the clutch a little faster, but I wouldn't worry about it..

Personaly, I wouldn't do it, but it's up to you for your purposes.. If I were going to do it, I'd drop one or two teeth on the rear rather than up any on the front.. Just my opinions.. Take them as you will

Well I did it yesterday, put on a JT 18 tooth front sprocket.

I love it! Bike should come geared from the factory like that. I know they chose the gearing for performance/top speed.

It actually makes it feel faster since the same engine revs have you going at a faster speed. No problems with launches I can still take off in second gear like I do sometimes in traffic like before. You really notice it at speeds over 75, less engine noise/vibration and you're still hauling ass.

I'll let you know about fuel mileage.

I must have lost 10 lbs of chain lube goo from the front sprocket area when I installed it. What a mess. NO MORE CHAIN WAX!

Guest rockmeupto125

I must have lost 10 lbs of chain lube goo from the front sprocket area when I installed it. What a mess. NO MORE CHAIN WAX!

Glad you like it.

Hope you cleaned your clutch pushrod while you were in there....... :icon_twisted:

OK, so I know Joe has done this and said it was OK, but I'm curious as to exactly what everyone thinks about it...

1. Mileage increase?

2. there are a Ton of variables to this, but chains last longer? (bigger radius, not as much wear)

3. Acceleration from a stop?

4. top gear roll-on power?

5. It makes the speedo about right doesn't it?

6. Anything else?

Edited to add: 7. Is stop and go traffic harder because of a higher "clutch out at idle" speed?

Thanks,

Mike

All my information is from a gearing standpoint.. And everything is relitive to your bike.. It might be different..

1. A little better gas mileage if you are going a distance, city mileage will suffer

2. The chain might last a little longer, but I seriously doubt you'll notice a difference

5. I'm not sure where the speedo pickup is, if it's taken off the front sprocket, then it'll make it wrong, if it's on the front wheel like most bikes, then it shouldn't change at all..

6. Your overall top speed should increase a tiny bit, but with a bike like this that little bit wouldn't matter unless you hit those speeds all the time..

7. It's a wet clutch setup, so it'll last quite a while anyways, but it will burn the clutch a little faster, but I wouldn't worry about it..

Personaly, I wouldn't do it, but it's up to you for your purposes.. If I were going to do it, I'd drop one or two teeth on the rear rather than up any on the front.. Just my opinions.. Take them as you will

Wow, you REALLY didn't read the whole thread did you?

1. I haven't gotten a chance to do any REAL highway riding, but even with 15k miles on this K&N cleaning, I'm still getting the same mileage as I was with it freshly cleaned with the old gearing... City mileage hasn't changed.

2. Don't know yet...

3. My 1/4 mile time AND trap speed are slightly faster than before, which may have been because of the new chain, but it certainly didn't hurt it any, because the bike seems to have enough power to overcome the gearing change.

4. It's slowed down a little bit, but it still faster in top gear than my Nighthawk 700S was in 4th, so I'm OK with it.

5. The factory speedo reads ~8% high, so the 18t sprocket makes it read dead-nuts accurate... The ODO is now about 8% slow though, but as long as it's marked in my maint. log, I'm OK with it...

6. The bike was geared for top speed from the factory, so unless you also add more power, like Chris or Forrest did, the top speed will probably be a hair lower

7. It feels almost no different taking off from a stop, so this question no longer needs answered...

Also, you need to replace the front sprocket with the chain anyway, so why replace the front AND rear sprocket, when the rear is good for 2 chains?

You might want to read the thread...

Mike

Glad you like it.

Hope you cleaned your clutch pushrod while you were in there....... :icon_twisted:

Oh yea, everything's spotless in there now. That new Dupont lube won't make a mess like the chain wax did.

The chain was actually making a groove through the ooze. :icon_naughty:

Glad you like it.

Oh yea, everything's spotless in there now. That new Dupont lube won't make a mess like the chain wax did.

The chain was actually making a groove through the ooze. :icon_naughty:

Where did you get the Dupont lube...and how much was it?

1. Mileage will be a little better, maybe one to two MPG.

2.Agreed

3. Mine didn't :icon_twisted:

4. Again, mine didn't :icon_twisted:

5. Speedo pickup is off the transmission. If you replace the front with an 18 you'll notice that the indicated speed will be very close to actual speed. It negates the error inherent in the BB speedo.

6. On a stock bird I doubt the top speed will increase much at all. In fact I would tend to think it might drop some due to the higher gearing pushing against the same amount of wind resistance.

7. Depends on the riders driving habits.

Personally I think it's a great mod and have no intention of switching mine back to a 17. In fact I still think I need to drop a couple off the rear.

Well, like I said, my opinions were based on the gearing of the front and rear sprocket only.. I don't know what the trany's ratio is, or anything else about the blackbird either.. I just got mine, and it's as close to bine stock as you can get a bike.. Haven't even changed out the air filter, or turn signals yet.. I won't even be able to ride it for a few months because of my military duties.. But now that I know what the speedo pickup is off of the sprocket, I might move it, or go with the 18t front.. But one of the reasons I'm on this board is to learn about the bike before I start changing it.. Learn from others is the cheapest way to mod a bike..

Pete,

Here is a picture of my JT 17t sprocket that had about 30k on it when it was pulled.

IPB Image

Josh,

Doesn't look all that shagged...

nuvey,

If you admittadly don't know shit about what you're talking about, don't answer questions that've already been answered like you do know what you are talking about...

Mike

Looks good to me for 30k miles, thanks for the pic.

Just put on my gold (bling) DIDZVM2 chain last night. old ZVM had 26100 miles on it and I was just starting to feel the 3 tight links through the pegs while riding.