Red J

Interest list:

scott s.

G4XX

CALCXX

Pete in PA

I've had a few guys ask about these again:

pair.jpg

Basically, it's a kit to disable the pulsed air injection system on the blackbird. You get two plates, a nifty little vinyl plug to block off the airbox, and a few little zip ties to keep the nifty little vinyl plug from coming loose.

Price is 40 bones, delivered in the USA. Slightly more to Aussies, Danes and Canadians.

I'll build them if I can get close to ten orders. Post here, to let me know if you're interested.

J.

Ease of maintainence and the ability to get accurate A/F readings in the exhaust stream.

Having just ajusted my valves, I can't tell you how happy I was not to have to dick around with all the PAIR plumbing. Same goes for spark plug changes.

I am interested, but we will have to get 9 others on board! <_<

"close to ten"

What are the advantages of installing this? Say on an 01' XX?

Tim answered it. Reduction of complexity, and for those who are measuring, an assurance that the AFR in the pipe is about what the AFR is in the combustion chamber.

I'll take a set. Where can I Pay-Pal ?

I never gave this a thought---

an assurance that the AFR in the pipe is about what the AFR is in the combustion chamber.

Thanks.

I have another Dyno sitting coming up.

Build quality is excellent and it gets a lot of crap out of your way.

Thanks!

I'll take a set. Where can I Pay-Pal ?

Not accepting funds yet, but will put you on the list.

i'm in

You're on the list.

The plates CAN stay in place when you pull the valve cover right?

Yep :)

I assume the valve cover with the stock pair covers hits something? I've never had the valve cover off with the engine installed, so I'm a little fuzzy on these details.

Everyone:

Interest is good enough for me to proceed. I'll get with my fabricator and start the ball rolling. I'll post a new thread in the FS area when I'm ready to accept orders.

Cheers!

J.

Guys save yourselfs the money!

Disconnect all the pair hoses and chuck'em along with charcoal can. Take the covers off the pair valve, grind the valve flapper off (rivets/brades) inside, reinsert to reuse the existing rubber washer, take the covers and fill it with JBWeld. Install the filled covers and put her back togather. ;)

This is the first thing I did to the RC51, removing the pair valve and doing a flapper mod. B)

The little blockoff plates are cute, but you dont need them. :rolleyes:

Disconnect all the pair hoses and chuck'em along with charcoal can. Take the covers off the pair valve, grind the valve flapper off (rivets/brades) inside, reinsert to reuse the existing rubber washer, take the covers and fill it with JBWeld. Install the filled covers and put her back togather. ;)

This is the first thing I did to the RC51, removing the pair valve and doing a flapper mod. B)

No need to remove the reeds from the valves, they will seal up the valve just fine, they are a one-way valve. Why remove the reed?

A rubber cap can also be used to cap off the tit, no need to use paper + JB weld.

Still need a cap for the airbox. Don't forget that.

Charcoal can is only for CA bikes.

Thats just the way I was shown to do it, I'm sure there are other tricks I still can learn. ;)

I bought the blockoff plates on my 02 and other than looking nice they were preatty much (IMO) a waste of $24, once I found out about filling the cap, which I did on my 03 RC. No one other than myself, will ever see the top of the heads anyway.

The JB only insures nothing can enter or exit the pair cap. I'd be afraid a rubber cap would eventually deteriorate or disintegrate over time.

I bought the blockoff plates on my 02 and other than looking nice they were preatty much (IMO) a waste of $24, once I found out about filling the cap, which I did on my 03 RC. No one other than myself, will ever see the top of the heads anyway.

The JB only insures nothing can enter or exit the pair cap. I'd be afraid a rubber cap would eventually deteriorate or disintegrate over time.

True, a handful of ways to accomplish the same thing (hell, you could use corks) but IMO, the plates are the cleanest way to declutter the area and rid yourself of the pair system. Most expensive, true.

If anyone would rather do the Rogue method instead of buying the plates and decline the opportunity to buy the parts, I understand.

If anyone wants to try the triple cap method, PM me and I'll send you the caps to try out. I'll even send spares, so that you can replace them when they dry rot.

You can't remove the valve cover with the stock pair valves in place because they're too tall and hit the frame crossover brace.

I'm still in. ;)

Might have to PM me, I don't look at the FS section often enough.

I will post a new thread, reply with the link here, and PM people.

If you've posted in this thread or PM'd me requesting to be on the list, I will contact you.

Thanks!

J.

My opinion is I'd rather have a clean looking block-off plate than fuck around modifying the stock items with duct tape, especially if the difference is only a few bucks.

These plates are very well made, and not only work great, but look great, as well. Very clean installation.

My opinion is I'd rather have a clean looking block-off plate than fuck around modifying the stock items with duct tape, especially if the difference is only a few bucks.

These plates are very well made, and not only work great, but look great, as well. Very clean installation.

That's what I say. I've had the stock pairs filled with RTV for years and still have to remove them first to pull the valve cover.

The little blockoff plates are cute, but you dont need them. :rolleyes:

Just a side note, JB Weld tends to get soft and rather runny under high heat and could melt sitting up there on top of the engine!

Go with Jeremy's block off plates and be done with it. Money well spent on well engineered, high quality product.