CBR1100XX.org Forum

Seafoam in the oil?

Justin

Hey, I know ya'll swear bt using seafoam as a gas additive here, and I use it myself, and love it. But what about using it mixed in with the oil? I see on the can thats one of the applications and it says it will lifters and other parts. So whats the word, is it ok to addd to the oil? Normally I stay away from any kind of oil additive, but in this case I would be willing to try a few ounces for its cleaning abilities.

I would think that it would, at least until the engine got warm, thin the oil quite a bit. Once the engine gets hot enough, I THINK it would cook the SeaFoam off and the oil would return to its original viscosity.

Personally, I MIGHT could see using it before an oil change to help remove deposits in the engine, but doing an oil change afterwards as I wouldn't want to run for a long time on possibly compromised oil.

Or you could use in your enema bag to remove those nasty rectal warts. I hear it works wonders.

Guest rockmeupto125

I wouldn't. Modern oil is good detergent oil. Plus I would have reservations about the clutch as well. I'm no engineer, and if I was to bet on it, I'd bet it wouldn't do any damage. But I wouldn't use my bike for the bet....

Sea Foam will foam up when the revs get high, leaving pockets of un lubricated parts inside your engine. The stuff is great, but in the oil it has that drawback. You can do it but, you must keep the revs down. I would only run it in my engine like that for 50-75 miles, then change your oil and filter. I learned this when my truck developed a temporary knock after revving the engine to track down an exhaust leak. I immediatly changed the oil, and haven't heard a peep since. On the up side, the oil was thick and black after only fifty miles of sea foam. This means that it really does work as a good cleaning agent. I don't know the answer to the clutch question, ask someone smart...

Brian