CBR1100XX.org Forum

anyone seen the inside of the exhaust collector

zentime

I'm going to build my own left side exhaust and wonder if anyone knows for sure if the collector just before where the mufflers attach is open inside or has baffles?

Or if anyone has a pipe laying around they could take a flashlight and look in the right and left side or poke a wire inside and see if you think there are any baffles in there?

It would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

guys....thanks for the input

yes it is the collector I need to know about.

and Jason if you could post picture of the inside of one, that would be a HUGE help.

I'm going to use a 954 muffler and about the first foot of tapered pipe coming out of the muffler. One of the stock xx mufflers capacity is to small to use but I temporarly pluged one of the mufflers to try it out. It did effect performance but not as much as I thought it would.

By blocking the right pipe it all but eliminated exhaust getting to the passenger in the sidecar............don't want to gas anyone at NEXXT. :-)

Bill

Okay, the first pic is obviously the last split in the system. The arrow shows the fiberglass(?) packing in the cross section.

20037254891398718341736.jpg

The second is looking into the first pair of collectors. Behind the perforated tube is the same packing material.

20037256856629103995157.jpg

Hope this helps.

Jason...........more than I could have hoped for! A picture is worth a 1000 words.

After seeing the pictures, plan "A" is to block off the right side outlet and plumb the left side outlet to the 954RR muffler. I read somewhere that Yoshimura, I think, used to do a single slip on this way. They provided a new less restrictive muffler and a cap to plug the other outlet from the exhaust system. My understanding is that the major restrictions are in the muffler. With the link mickcbr1100 sent, it's obvious how tortuous the exhaust path is in the OEM XX mufflers. The 954 muffler is way less restrictive. It's not straight through but I can see light from one end to the other.

Just curious, how do you happen to have pictures of the collector cut in half like that?

Thanks again

Bill

No problem, Bill. Glad it helped. :grin:

Just curious, how do you happen to have pictures of the collector cut in half like that?

I didn't. You called my bluff, so I had to do the honorable thing and remove my header....... then proceed to hack it up. :wink: :grin:

Seriously though, I'm slooooowly working on a custom system and wanted to do a cheap experiment with a stock header that I found on ebay, but ended up finding a full system in my price range instead (thanks again, Sean! :grin: ).

I didn't. You called my bluff, so I had to do the honorable thing and remove my header....... then proceed to hack it up.

:grin: at first I thought wow, this a close group!

If you're within NEXXT range and attend, you at least get a ride!

thanks agan

Bill

I'm really hoping that I can take you up on that offer! :shock: :grin:

I've had every intention on making it to the NeXXt, but it seems that everything has been working against me lately. :sad: We'll see.........